Coffee Fridays!

Students give opinions on Starbucks
Senior+Eric+Medina+takes+a+Starbucks+swig.++
Priince Gomez
Senior Eric Medina takes a Starbucks swig.

For Morton East, it’s Starbucks coffee on Fridays, it seems.

In the survey of 100 students at Morton East, we asked three questions:

1. “What days of the week do you go to Starbucks?” 15 students said Monday, 15 students said Tuesday, 12 said Wednesday, 11 said Thursday, and 32 said Friday.
  2. “Do you prefer caffeine or refreshers?” 57 students said caffeine, and 35 said refresher.
  3. “What do you get at Starbucks?” Some of the answers we got from students were “Strawberry lemonade refresher,” “Pink drink with sweet vanilla cold foam,” and “Grande vanilla sweet cream nitro cold brew with two pumps of brown sugar and cinnamon.” (Wow!)

According to ‘Stories.Starbucks.com’, the name Starbucks was inspired by author Herman Melville’s famous novel, Moby-Dick (Starbuck was the name of the first mate on the ship, the Pequod). According to ‘archive.starbucks.com’, Gerald Baldwin (an English teacher), Gordon Bowker (a writer), and Zev Siegel (a history teacher) were three twenty-somethings who were passionate about the arts, fine food, good wine, and, of course, great coffee. They started Starbucks because they wanted Seattle to have access to the delicious dark-roasted coffee that they loved – but had to go out of town to find. According to “crowdspring.com/blog/Starbucks-logo”, Terry Hacker got the idea of the now-famous “one-tailed siren” logo from old marine books.

Students say they need that extra caffeine jolt that coffee provides to get them through the days.

“El café es muy bueno porque me hace sentir que me despisto, especialmente en las mañanas más difíciles. Por ejemplo, los lunes son el día más difícil,” said Jasmin Lozano.

Students clearly have a strong opinion about what they prefer on the menu.

“I like coffee drinks because they help me stay awake when I’m in class — because sometimes class is boring,” said Xavier Flores.

Still, many students select the refresher beverages at Starbucks.

“I feel (Starbucks refreshers) are a good option because other people prefer refreshers. Some people don’t like caffeine like me; I prefer refreshers,”  said Vanessa Hernandez .

Vanessa is not alone with her opinions.

“Me gustan los refrescantes porque a mí no me gusta el café. El café me hace sentir muy loco. Siento que el café es malo,” said Andrés Robledo.

Ultimately, students have to weigh the quality of Starbucks against the cost, though.

“Coffee is good but it’s a little expensive,” said Adrian Mendoza.

View Comments (21)