Alternative gifts for Valentine’s Day

Students just want a “memorable date”

As the month of February approaches and Valentine’s Day is around the corner, there are many alternative gifts students can give out rather than chocolate and flowers.

If students have a budget in mind, they can give out gifts like handwritten letters, baked treats, or DIY crafts. Writing a handwritten letter to a loved one or friend can be a form of expressing your love and feelings for the other person. This is a personal gesture that is thoughtful and meaningful. If you’re a person who enjoys cooking and is thinking of doing something at home, baking treats can be a good alternative gift. Another meaningful Valentine’s gift can be a DIY crafted gift like a memory jar filled with shared memories of you and the person and why you appreciate them.

In a recent survey at Morton East High School, it shows that 55% of students prefer a memorable date. The cost expectation for Valentine’s Day ranges from $40-$50 dollars; this may vary depending on whether students work or not.

Here’s what students at Morton East had to say:

“Me personally, I would just get a gift card from somewhere I know they like as a gift,” says Senior Gianelle Virella.

For instance, the most voted gift cards students would consider this year are Amazon gift cards and Target gift cards.

“I would prefer to go to a nice restaurant because you can both enjoy a nice meal together,” says Senior Kevin Sanchez.

A dinner on Valentine’s Day is a good choice for this holiday because you’re able to enjoy quality time with your partner and as well as enjoy a good meal.

“The most meaningful Valentine’s Day gifts are those that reflect your partner’s or friend’s personality and interests,” says Junior Melanie Desantiago.

Understanding their preferences and putting thought into the gift and being creative often matters more than the price tag on something materialistic.

“I would prefer an experience, such as tickets to a concert, a weekend trip, or a cooking class together,” says Senior Yamileth Gandarilla.

This is a good choice for shared experiences with your partner that can create lasting memories.

“I would gift something DIY because it shows thought and effort, such as personalized items like custom-made artwork, engraved items, or a scrapbook of memories, can be particularly meaningful and it’s a way of as a symbol of commitment and love,” says Journalism student Alejandro Molina.

As you can see, most students have their preferences when it comes to Valentine’s Day gifts: some prefer more sentimental gifts, while others enjoy something simpler.