Majority of students, families to spend winter break at home

This+picture+was+taken+by+reporter+Brisa+Valadez+on+her+winter+break+trip+to+California+last+year.+
This picture was taken by reporter Brisa Valadez on her winter break trip to California last year.

Majority of families and students this winter break will stay home and celebrate with their closest family.

Traveling during winter break can be an incredible experience, whether you are heading to a snowy destination for skiing, planning a warm getaway to escape the cold, or exploring festive holiday markets, among many other activities. Many individuals travel to spend holidays with their family, often traveling to different cities or countries to celebrate together. Others during winter break take vacations to warmer or colder climates for winter activities like skiing or snowboarding. During break, many use that time to solo travel—a time for self-reflection, exploration, and personal growth. Many winter vacations are adventure travel, involving activities like hiking or exploring nature, or visiting destinations like national parks or adventure parks. Most travelers journey to their home countries, like Mexico, to celebrate with family and enjoy amazing cuisines. Popular vacation spots include New York, London, France, Canada, Japan, Australia, Denmark, and Italy due to the unique experiences.

In a random survey of 100 Morton students, 18 students said they were going somewhere during winter break, 70 said they were not, and 12 said maybe.

“I’m traveling to Michoacán over the break to visit family that I haven’t seen in a while. I’m going to Michoacán alone during the break since I will be taking classes over the summer and won’t be able to go. I will be spending Christmas in Michoacán to celebrate the posadas with my family over there,” said junior Itzareliz Ayala Serrato.

While some students travel alone to Mexico to visit family, other families will not travel due to not having enough money.

“I don’t think we’d be able to go anywhere this winter break due to the lack of money, but that’s okay because even if we don’t go this year, there’s always next year,” said parent Zenaida Maldonado.

But with families not traveling due to money problems, some prefer to stay home and spend time with family.

“We’re probably going to be staying home this winter break, but that leaves enough time to just spend time with family,” said sister Rebecca Hill.

Staying home and spending time with family is fun, but staying home, relaxing, and going to visit your grandparents is way better than a vacation.

“I won’t be traveling this winter break because we’re broke and there’s nowhere interesting to go. Honestly, I don’t wish I was traveling; I’m too tired and I’d rather stay home than travel, but I’m going to my grandma’s house,” said senior Andrea Olivares.

Staying home, relaxing, and visiting for some is great, but for others, having to stay home and wishing to go to Mexico to visit family is a dream.

“From what I know, I am not going anywhere over the winter break yet. A place I wish I was going is to go to Mexico so I can visit my family,” said junior Edgar Ramirez.

View Comments (1)