Morton East celebrates St. Patrick’s day

About half of the students at Morton East celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

In a random survey of 100 students, we asked students if they celebrated St. Patrick’s Day: 58 people said that they don’t celebrate, while 42 people did celebrate.

But first, let’s see the history of St. Patrick’s. In a website called Britannica, it says, “St. Patrick’s Day, feast day (March 17) of St. Patrick, patron saint of Ireland. Born in Roman Britain in the late 4th century, he was kidnapped at the age of 16 and taken to Ireland as a slave. He escaped but returned about 432 CE to convert the Irish to Christianity. By the time of his death on March 17, 461, he had established monasteries, churches, and schools. Many legends grew up around him—for example, that he drove the snakes out of Ireland and used the shamrock to explain the Trinity. Ireland came to celebrate his day with religious services and feasts.” “Boston held its first St. Patrick’s Day parade in 1737, followed by New York City in 1762. Since 1962, Chicago has colored its river green to mark the holiday.”

How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

“The way I celebrate St. Patrick’s Day is by hanging out with friends and having fun,” Josel Badillo, a senior Morton student, said.

“Even though I am not Irish, I still celebrate it with family members,” Mariana Vela, a senior Morton student, said.

“Me and my family get something to eat for St. Patrick’s Day,” Mariana Vela, a senior Morton student, said.

“I like St. Patrick’s Day because of the food and drinks, which is the way we celebrate,” Noemi Jurado, a junior Morton student, said.

“The theme always has to be green and some food that connects to Irish culture,” Kevyn Ocegueda, a junior Morton student, said.