East welcomes newcomers for the holidays

Morton East has welcomed ___ newcomers since the beginning of the year.

To make the students welcome, the Morton East guidance department has organized a Student Ambassador program where current Morton East students help familiarize newcomers to the school and community.  According to guidance, Morton East has been getting about 10 newcomers a week, but the number is lessening as we approach second semester.

According to “ny1.com,” the city data released on Tuesday, December 5, indicates that the coldest weather is looming. Despite a partnership with religious leaders to provide temporary housing, hundreds of asylum-seekers still await placement at airports and police stations, with some of them still camped on sidewalks outside precinct buildings.

According to “nytimes.com,” Chicago is straining to provide for the growing numbers of migrants who have arrived over the last year on buses from the U.S.-Mexico border. Concerns arise as Chicago’s infamously cold winter approaches; volunteers and leaders worry that conditions will worsen.

According to “blockclubchicago.org,” the city has partnered with Instituto del Progreso Latino to create an Amazon wish list where people can buy supplies for migrants. These supplies include pants, shoes, shirts, hoodies, backpacks, razor blades, shower shoes, and laundry bags.

According to “blockclubchicago.org,” hygiene supplies like sanitizers, medical kits, diapers, and baby formula can also be donated to the Pilsen Food Pantry at 1850 S. Throop St. The pantry has mutual aid networks to connect these items to migrants across the city.

We see a significant impact on newcomers because most of them don’t spend time with their loved ones.

In a random survey of 100 newcomers, 23 will be with their families at their houses, while 16 students plan to travel to visit their families. Additionally, 10 plan to sleep, 4 like to have a feast, and 9 plan to work.

In the survey where we asked, “¿Qué vas a hacer durante las vacaciones del invierno?” some students provided interesting responses:

• “Mis vacaciones las pasaré con mi familia en Texas.”
  • “Voy a pasar mis vacaciones con mi familia.”
  • “Voy a trabajar.”
  • “Pasaré tiempo con mi familia y dormiré mucho.”
  • “Iré a Wisconsin.”
  • “Iré al gimnasio y me pondré en forma.”
  • “Planearé mi boda.”
  • “Viajaré a Carolina del Norte.”
  • “Durante las vacaciones de invierno, iré a Nueva York a visitar a mi papá.”

Morton East is opening a “comfort closet” as part of the student support services for newcomers and other students. This closet will offer clothing, monetary support for community service, home and school supplies, etc.

Additionally, according to Youth Crossroad, there’s a community food distribution every Thursday at 25th and Central. Starting mid-January, they’ll have snack packs available for youths.