Do You Travel To Mexico For Holidays?

Some families take their students away from education a little too early for the Christmas vacation — because of planned trips to Mexico.

In a recent survey of 100 Morton East students, 22 are planning to go to Mexico over break, and another 20 have been to Mexico over the holidays, but not this year; 58 students do not travel over winter break.  According to the surveys, some students travel a little too early for the holidays, which affects their education and attendance.

There are stated facts that some seniors would be on track to graduate, but then, when they leave early for holidays, their grades drop and they fail finals.

“I leave like 2 weeks before break, so starting December, I have my flight to Mexico. I don’t really mind if my schoolwork gets piled up; I’ll just finish it when I get back from break,” said Senior Alondra Hernandez.

Some students will wait for the break to start for them to travel to Mexico and spend holidays over there so they won’t have to stress over grades and can spend the holiday peacefully. But some students feel differently about this.

“I would like to finish the semester and do finals, but my mom already bought my tickets a week before finals. I’m on track to pass this semester, so I should be okay,” said junior Valeria Roman.

Another student travels even though he’s failing.

“I’m failing, but I’ll take care of that as soon as I return from my peaceful vacation. This is my second year traveling to Mexico, but I didn’t fail last year,” said sophomore Jose Guzman.

These quotes prove that students travel to Mexico before the break even starts, which affects their attendance and education.

View Comments (1)