Students sip festive Mexican drinks this season

The majority of students prefer festive Mexican drinks this season, survey says.

In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 67 students prefer Mexican drinks for Christmas, and 33 students prefer Mexican food for Christmas.

Many people celebrate Christmas with a nice drink surrounded by their families during the cold holidays. According to Google, Mexican Ponche has been a Christmas tradition for centuries. The ponche is made with apples, hawthorn, oranges, guavas, pineapple, plum, raisins, and spices like cinnamon, cloves, hibiscus, anise, and Piloncillo. Eggnog, a popular holiday drink, is made with eggs, milk, sugar, and spices like nutmeg. It is served chilled and garnished with cinnamon or nutmeg. Fruitcake, a dense, sweet cake filled with dried fruits, nuts, and spices, is often associated with Christmas and can be aged for months or years. Champurrado, in the classic Christmas style, is a chocolate-based atole, a warm and thick Mexican beverage. It is prepared with either masa, masa harina, or corn flour; piloncillo; water or milk. Tamales, traditional Mesoamerican dishes made of masa, a dough made from nixtamalized corn, are steamed in a corn husk or banana leaves.

“The best drink for the holidays is Mexican Ponche because I’ve never tried anything better than that,” Senior Alan Ortega said.

Other students think that champurrado is the best drink for the holidays.

“For me, I think the best drink is Champurrado because it’s the only drink I’ve tried for the holidays,” Senior Rakan Mokdad said.

Other students also believe that Champurrado is the best drink for the holidays.

“The best drink for the holidays is Champurrado because my mom always makes it during the holidays,” Junior Issac Cano said.

However, some students don’t like any holiday drinks.

“I don’t like any of these holiday drinks. I’ve tried them, but I never liked them,” Senior David Reyes said.