Morton’s 2023 Rappers of the Year

Gianelle Virella
Nicki Minaj (Angelica Espino) and Drake (Marcos Abrigo) with their kid Ice Spice (orange hydroflask).

Drake and Nicki Minaj are Morton’s top rappers of 2023 survey says.

In a random survey taken by Morton students, 45% voted Drake as the best male rapper of 2023 and 50% voted Nicki Minaj as the best female rapper of 2023. Additionally, students were asked to vote for who they thought was the 2023 Rap Rookie of the Year. With 50% of votes in her favor, Ice Spice is Morton’s Rap Rookie of the Year.

Drake and Nicki Minaj have been known to be Ice Spice’s mentors as she gained more and more attention throughout 2023. Ice Spice has spoke on how she views Drake as a coach when it comes to dealing with new experiences and fame. Nicki Minaj and Ice spice released two singles together in 2023 including “Barbie Girl,” a sampled song written for “Barbie” the movie. Ice spice, Nicki Minaj, and Drake all have one thing in common, they all dropped an album in 2023. The three, respectively, dropped ‘Like..?’, ‘Pink Friday 2’ and ‘For All the Dogs’ each album topping the charts.

“I think Nicki Minaj winning female rap artist of 2023 is well deserved as shes worked hard for and is the queen of rap,” says senior Angelica Espino.

“Pfft. Was it ever a competition? Was it really a surprise? God did! I mean, its Drizzy Drake of course he’s rapper of the year,” says senior Marcos Abrigo.

“Ice spice didn’t deserve rookie of the year, she got famous for no reason. The only reason people like her is because she thicccc. She only sings like three songs and has minors in her music videos. Someone like Teezo Touchdown should’ve won, he’s literally creating his own genre,” says senior Nicole Suarez.

Tyler, the creator and Lil Durk took second and third respectively. Same thing went for Ice Spice and Sexxyred as they came in second and third for female rapper of the year, respectively. For rookie of the year, Sexxyred came in second with Central Cee coming in third.

However, Kanye West and 21 Savage surprisingly came in last place along with Cardi B and Glorilla. And for rookie of the year, Destroy Lonely came in last.

View Comments (4)