Stanley Cups beats Hydro Flasks at Morton East

Pedro Roman
Denisse and Yareli posing with their Hydro Flask and Stanley Cup.

In a survey conducted at Morton East, out of 100 respondents, 55 students say they have a Stanley cup, 30 students have a Hydro flask, 7 students have both water bottles and 8 have none.

Founded in 1913 by inventor William Stanley Jr., Stanley is known for creating ultra-durable and sleek drinkware and food storage options. The most sustainable products are the kind that never needs to be thrown away or be “replaced”. Stanley is a well-known brand that has been manufacturing durable and reliable thermoses, flasks, and other outdoor gear for many years. The main body of Stanley bottles is often constructed from stainless steel. Leak-proof designs in Stanley bottles often include rubber or silicone seals in the lids to prevent spills and maintain the integrity of the insulation. The exterior of some Stanley bottles may have a powder-coated finish. Stanley’s do contain lead on the outside of the tumbler, and on the bottom, and have a pellet that is used to seal the cup’s vacuum insulation. This coating not only adds to the aesthetic appeal but also provides a durable and scratch-resistant surface.

Although material products from Stanley’s may vary. Hydro Flasks was founded in 2009 in Bend, Oregon. The durability of Hydro Flask products lines up with environmental sustainability efforts, as they reduce the need for single-use plastic bottles. Hydro Flask products are typically made from high-quality stainless steel. Made to be durable, resistant to rust and corrosion, and does not impart or retain flavors. Components such as lids and caps are often made from BPA-free plastics. This is that no harmful chemicals from plastic leach into the liquids stored in the Hydro Flask. Both brands tend to utilize double-wall vacuum insulation technology. This involves creating a vacuum-sealed space between the inner and outer walls of the bottle to reduce heat transfer, keeping beverages hot or cold for extended periods.

These water bottles have taken the internet by storm. Hydro Flasks were made popular back in 2019-2020 by being part of the VSCO girl aesthetic or trend of style as girls dressed in baggy t-shirts, had scrunchies on their wrists, and had their Hydro Flasks to stay hydrated. While Stanley’s became popular recently during late 2023 and early 2024, by being highly marketed and influencing people to buy. Even making people line up outside of Target to get their hands on new releases, collecting them all!

“I love my Hydro Flask. I think it’s very convenient and it keeps my water really cold. Plus, they’re just better and more reliable than a Stanley,” said senior Angelica Espino.

People can purchase Stanley’s on their website online, or in stores like Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. While Hydro Flasks can only be purchased on their online website and Dick’s Sporting Goods.

“If I were able to get one for free, I would probably get the Stanley Cup. I would choose the Stanley Cup since it was one of the only things that survived some girl’s car catching on fire. It’s great quality, comes in a variety of colors, keeps the drink cold, and it just looks much better in my opinion,” said freshman Yaretzi Garcia.

Of course, there are people who prefer one over the other due to the design or even the functionality of the water bottles. Although, there’s one concerning factor when it comes to one of the water bottles. As previously stated, Stanley Cups do contain small portions of lead. Even though they’re still safe for drinking, please take precautions.

“10mcg/dL is lead poisoning. Some long-term effects for adults include:

• High blood pressure.
  • Joint and muscle pain.
  • Difficulties with memory or concentration.
  • Headache.
  • Abdominal pain.
  • Mood disorders.
  • Reduced sperm count and abnormal sperm.
  • Miscarriage, stillbirth, or premature birth in pregnant women.
  •  At really high levels it can lead to severe damage to the brain’s central nervous system that can cause coma, convulsions, and even death,” says science teacher Mr. Smith. 

Stanley’s are still safe for drinking, but a lot of wallets aren’t safe yet. Trend after trend, water bottles keep on coming. There are even people talking about another type of water bottle that might be the next “it” water bottle, the Owala Free Sip.

“I do think water bottles will stay trendy. However, I think a new brand will come and replace Stanley soon. For a while, any water bottle as long as it had stickers was trendy. Now it’s no stickers and Stanley. There will be something else. However, I will say, that if you go to Goodwill, you will find a whole shelf of forgotten and thrown-out water bottles. I call it the water bottle graveyard. Heck, people should check out the Goodwill water bottle shelf…. maybe ‘vintage’ water bottles will be the next cool thing, lol,” said American Pop Culture Teacher, Ms. Rhode.

Some people have bought more than one water bottle or both brands. 

“I have both a Hydro Flask and a Stanley because they’re both used to keep my drinks hot and cold, but I definitely like my Hydro Flask more because it’s smaller to carry around and more convenient to carry my drink in,” said senior Jacquelyn Leon.

Make sure to stay hydrated but stay cautious of your wallet if you decide to buy a trendy water bottle.