Students’ opinions on the ACCESS Test

Student+concentrating+on+the+ACCESS+test.+
Student concentrating on the ACCESS test.

ACCESS Testing was scheduled differently for students this year — in their English classes — over four days rather than all in one day.   And, it seems that students liked it more.  

In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 51 preferred the four periods of testing throughout the week and 49 students reported that they preferred a full day of testing. Most students found the writing test the most challenging, while others found listening the easiest.

According to Wida.Wisc.edu, the ACCESS test provides information about students’ English language abilities in school. ACCESS measures the students’ knowledge in English through Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing tests. ACCESS also gives students a chance to earn a gold seal of biliteracy or a silver commendation in biliteracy on their high school diploma if they score high enough, proving the student’s proficiency in English and a second language. (However, the ACCESS test only provides the English side of biliteracy.) 

District 201 will be responsible for testing over 2500 students for the ACCESS Test. At Morton East, we have 1300 being tested; meanwhile, at Morton West, there are 70 students. Morton Freshman Center will be responsible for testing 465, Alternative School with IEP will be testing 70 students, and about 22 students at Morton Alternative School will also be tested with the ACCESS 2.0. The framework for testing this year has remained the same as other years. Meanwhile, they did change the strategy of testing space. This year, Morton East students will be testing with their EL certified teachers for over 4 days in their regular classrooms. Students also can do practice activities with their English teachers to get a higher score on the access test. On each practice test, it includes and focuses on speaking, writing skills along with listening and reading; these practices help students get better at the ACCESS Test and hopefully meet the exit criteria of 4.8 on a 6.0 scale. 

“Teachers could give us more practice and help us understand the question so we could be prepared,” Senior Daniela Garcia said. 

Students also had some challenges during the ACCESS Test. 

“The speaking test, I found it most difficult because I get shy in front of a lot of people, I whisper and end up messing up my words,” Senior Jocelyn Olguin said. 

Students also experience emotions during the test. 

“Draining, because I just sat there and stared at the computer, I didn’t want to do work,” Senior Yaritza Coyotl-Flores said. 

Students also unfold personal growth. 

“I honestly don’t prepare myself, but I do try to read more books and speak louder since those are the areas I have the most trouble with,”  Senior Diana Rodriguez said. 

“I enjoy spending time reading. I think it helps me more in my English language and understand more,” Senior Diana Rodriguez said. 

View Comments (2)