Ouija Board Beliefs

East students believe in the power of the Ouija Board.

The Ouija board, also known as a spirit board or talking board, is a device that has intrigued and perplexed many. It emerged during the height of the Spiritualist movement in the late 1800s, blending two popular tools, the planchette and the talking board. While it has been a source of amusement for some, a segment of users believes it can genuinely connect with spirits or offer insights into the future, stirring controversy and diverse opinions. In 1966, Mattel acquired the rights to the Ouija board game through its purchase of the game manufacturer, the Kennard Novelty Company. The Ouija board, which had previously been marketed as a mystical and supernatural tool, was then rebranded as a family board game and sold as a product for entertainment and fun rather than serious spiritual or occult purposes. Mattel’s involvement with the Ouija board helped popularize the game as a recreational activity and removed some of the mystique and fear associated with it. Today, the Ouija board is still sold as a game by various toy companies, including Mattel, and is often used as a novelty item for social gatherings and Halloween parties.

In a recent survey of 15 students, 11 expressed belief in the Ouija board’s power, while 4 remained skeptical.

“I think people believe they can talk to certain people using the Ouija board, but they don’t know what other spirits they’re actually talking to. I believe in the Ouija Board because there have been unexplainable events while using the board,” senior student Galilea Medina said.

The Ouija board can usher unexpected and, for some, eerie experiences into one’s life, raising questions about its usage. Some individuals use it for serious, even professional, purposes, aiming to connect with spirits to assist others.

“The Ouija board is a 100-year-old game people have passed down through the years as a scary game to talk to spirits. If it wasn’t real, people would stop selling or using them. Even some people who work to communicate with spirits use the Ouija board,” senior student Lizette Macias said.

While many employ the Ouija board to interact with spirits and explore the paranormal, it remains a subject of skepticism for some.

“I think the Ouija Board is dumb; I don’t believe in it because it seems stupid that it’s a way ghosts can communicate with us using some sort of paranormal device thing,” senior student Jaretzy Guatemala said.

Even those who haven’t used an Ouija board hold certain beliefs about its authenticity.

“I never played with an actual Ouija board before but I’ve seen YouTuber try it and it seemed real enough to me” junior student Daisy Ambelis said.