Price of Christmas spending

For students, it’s parents

Students are more likely so be spending money on gifts for their parents this year.

Gifting has been an important part of Christmas since 1800. People tend to spend a lot of money on gifts for people they care for.  According to WhartonWoman.com, the National Retail Federation (NRF) says Americans will spend an average of about $800 this holiday season — $500 of which will go twards gifts. The most popular of these gifts are clothing, toys, and gift cards.  In a random survey of 78 Morton East Students, 64 percent said that they would be spending most on their parents for this Christmas.

“I would spend the most money on my parents because they are my parents, and they deserve more than anything in the world,” junior Samantha Garcia said.

Lots of students show the most appreciation for their parents.

“Parents because I need to be appreciative of them since they are my parents,” senior Arissa Garcia said.

Others would rather spend on their partner.

“I would spend a lot of money on my partner because my partner is my partner and I want to show appreciation,” senior Nick Rodriguez said.

Many students with siblings said that they would spend the most on their siblings.

“I would spend money on my siblings, and I would spend about 100 dollars because they help me when they can, and they appreciate my gifts more,” freshman Genesis Orozco said.