Extended science classes at Morton

Juniors Marifer.Charola and Salvador Viramontes doing a lab

Morton’s 3 main AP science classes are 1 hour and 30 minutes long this year.

AP Bio, Chemistry, and Physics are 1 hour and a half long this 2023-2024 school year. These science classes consist of lectures and labs. Having the classes be 30 minutes longer helps students have more times to do labs. Students taking these classes don’t have supervision, the class cuts into their supervision period. For example, students taking AP Bio have 3a lunch 3b-4b biology. In a random survey 100 Morton East students, 43 students reported not being aware that these science classes were extended.

“AP Physics I has 6 students, AP Bio has 31 students (two sections), and AP Chemistry has 15 students,” said Dr. Parrie

When students found out these classes had extended periods, a lot of them decided to drop the class.

“I had a lot of students in my roster at the beginning of the school year. As soon as they got told this class was longer, they dropped my class; most of them were gone within the 1st 3 days of school,” said AP Biology teacher Mr. Bonner

These are the only 3 classes with “nontraditional” schedules. 61 Morton students said they wouldn’t take 1 hour and 30 minute periods.

“I honestly I believe that it has a negative impact on students, some students want to relax for 30 minutes and catch up with friends or even do homework but to not being able to do that because of the exclusion of supervision just causes many like myself to leave school really exhausted and drained,” said junior Salvador Viramontes.

Other students enjoy having an extended period, they find it beneficial.

“I think AP bio being 1 hour and a half is beneficial because it honestly has made me feel like I’ve learned more than any other class. Additionally, it creates stronger bonds between the students who are in the class due to spending an extended period with them. It also leaves more time for class work that further explains the material. Not only that but having more time to ask the teacher questions and thoroughly understand the material is nice,” said Junior Marifer Charola.

The number of students wanting to take these classes next year are higher than this years numbers as of right now.

“AP Physics I has 22 requests, AP Bio has 67 requests, and AP Chem has 36 requests. These numbers will change as counselors finish meeting with students for next year scheduling,” said Dr. Parrie