The Majority of Students at East are Single and Sometimes Sad About it

Are students excited for the upcoming Valentine’s?

How do Mustangs feel with this upcoming Valentine’s Day?

Valentine’s Day is an important date for those who are in love or are trying to take the next step and ask their crush out, or simply hang out with their beloved friends. But what are the students’ stats for these days at Morton Eats? In a random survey of 100 students, 55% of them said they’re single, 25% said they’re in a situation-ship, and finally, 20% said that they’re in a relationship.

Many students from the 55% explained how they feel with being single during this upcoming date; the majority of them expressed sadness and bad emotions. “It feels sad to see another Valentine’s coming up and I’m single again, I know it is not a bad thing but it still feels awful and kind of embarrassing to see my friends with their girlfriends and there is me just on the side,” said senior Daniel Zuniga who was open to tell us his feelings. Just like him, many students repeated almost the same words and just negative feelings overall.

With the results from single students, we did research to find out who these students can reach out to get help and deal with their emotions. We asked social worker Sheila Salgado to give us some advice and what students should do if they feel bad during this time, and she said, “If I had a student expressing sadness because of being single, it’s important to be surrounded by positive influences (friends/family), engage in favorable activities such as hobbies or activities, and possibly explore new experiences.” She also offered help and explained that the counselors and social workers have their office open for any student to pass by and vent if they need to.

On the other hand, students with relationships were open to talk about their excitement for this day coming; the majority of them expressed how in love they are and what they plan on doing to make their partners feel loved. They also expressed that having a significant other has given them the motivation and support they need to keep going with school and other things, and that’s why they plan on having the best Valentine’s Day with their partners. “I feel so grateful to have my partner and be able to spend another 14th with them, they make my life better and I hope to make them happy for many more Valentine’s,” said senior Suhei Almanza.

We also asked students how they plan on spending this lovely day; most of them said with their friends and loved ones. Some of them shared their plans like senior Monserrat Islas who said, “I’ll take the day off school and go to the aquarium with them, go to dine in a nice restaurant and probably go to a park and watch the stars together,” pretty cute and romantic idea if you ask me. Some other students said they don’t really care, and they would probably just spend the day at home alone.

A personal message for the students: Sometimes things can be hard when we don’t get to spend important dates the way we want, but it is okay to be single and to reach for help if negative thoughts keep appearing. There are many resources in school to help us as students, and there are many people who are open to help and listen if you need to vent. Enjoy the day and try to take the best from it with friends or those surrounding you. Happy Valentine’s Day 2024 Mustangs.