Ice Skating in Cicero

Downtown+Chicago+Christmas+Tree+is+a+huge+draw+for+holiday+shoppers+and+visitors.++
Downtown Chicago Christmas Tree is a huge draw for holiday shoppers and visitors.

Ice skating has been around for decades now and is a very popular activity around the world. However, how many people in Cicero actually know how to skate?

In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, only 46 said that they know how to ice skate, and 20 said they know how to do tricks on the ice. Although some people know.  According to history.com, ice skating can be traced back to around 3,000 B.C., where people in Scandinavia and Russia used the shin bones of large animals like horses, deer, and sheep. They would file and shape these bones into skates, allowing them to travel on frozen lakes and waterways during the winter. Winter ice skating is also an Olympic sport.

Just as people know how to ice skate, 54 said they do not go ice skating during the winter, and 44 said they shuffle and fall a lot.

“Overall, I’ve had a good experience ice skating. I’m not the best skater, but I go to have a good time,” said Science Teacher Ashley Los.

Just like Ms. Los, others enjoy ice skating even though their skills may not be the greatest.

“I enjoy ice skating, but the skills aren’t there, so I hold on to the wall but regardless have a good time,” said Senior Victoria Chavez.

Unlike Victoria and Ms. Los, not everyone who goes ends up with the best experience.

“I have had one bad experience. I don’t know how to ice skate, but when I went, I fell and hurt myself not too bad, but I did end up leaving with scratches,” said Senior Josselyn Murillo.

Of course, the more experience you have with ice-skating, the better you’ll be, and you’ll hopefully have fewer scratches.

“I went with a group of friends, and we all ended up falling together. I did end up bleeding from the fall, but other than that, we were fine,” said senior Jennifer Tejada.”

Also others have a unique experiences with skating.

“Probably the most interesting experience I have had is Ice skating in Florida. Ice skating in Florida is a big thing probably because people want to escape the heat. The ice-skating rink was inside, and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Definitely a unique experience,” said teacher Mr. Tony Asay.

Cicero’s Bobby Hull Community Ice Rink is located at 3400 S 53rd Ave, Cicero IL 60804. Skate Rentals for Cicero residents are 1$, Skate Rentals for Non-Residents are 3$. They are open from Monday To Sunday 10am-8pm .