Students spend Benjamins on significant others

So, how much should you spend on that girlfriend/boyfriend?

The majority of students say they’d spend more than $100 on a significant other this year.

Sure, they say Christmas is about spending time with friends, family, and your girlfriend/boyfriend. But, for many students, the most important thing about Christmas is gifts.

How much should we spend on gifts for our partner for Christmas? Well, the answer is in this article.

Here’s an interesting excerpt from an article in Business Insider by Walt Hickey titled “How much to spend on your significant other during the holidays, based on how long you’ve been together”:

“To figure out how much people really spend on their partners’ gifts, we commissioned a SurveyMonkey Audience poll that ran from December 7 to December 8 and had 1,050 respondents. Of those, 707 reported being in a relationship, and we asked them to write in how much they planned to spend on a holiday gift for their partner. The median amount spent by the people who have been dating their partner for less than a year was $50. Among those who have dated their partners for 1 to 3 years, the median jumped to $100. The 75th percentile of people who dated one to three years spent $200, which jumps to $262 for those who’ve been dating three or more years.  There were 458 married people who answered, making up the bulk of the survey respondents with an attachment. For them, the money spent went way up. While the median stayed at $100, the top 25% of married gifters reported planning to spend $300 on their spouse at the holidays.  But, really interestingly, lots of married couples spend $0 on their gift: more than one out of every 10, in fact. Married folks are more likely to not buy gifts than people who dated less than a year.”

In a survey we did, we asked 100 Morton East students if they would willingly spend above $100 for their boyfriend/girlfriend on Christmas gifts. 87 students said they would spend more than $100, while 13 said they would not spend above $100.

If you had or have a girlfriend/boyfriend, how much would you spend?

“I would say the most is $500 for my wife,” Mr. Tony Asay, a Morton East teacher, said.

“You could say I am cheap, but if I were buying something special, I would spend up to $300, but mostly I spend like $50 to $100 on friends’ gifts,” Mr. Kent Frankfother, a Morton East teacher, said.

“I would have spent around $200 if I was feeling nice, but mostly $150 on Christmas gifts,” Juanita Hernandez, a mother, said.

“The most I would spend is $150; I would spend more, but I have friends that I give gifts to,” Israel Angeles, a senior student, said.

“I spend a lot of money on Christmas gifts, and the most I would spend is $170, at least,” Adrian Zambrano, a senior student, said.

View Comments (1)