Most Morton East students on TikTok for Hours

Anonymous+student+watches+Tiktok+in+class.+
Anonymous student watches Tiktok in class.

The majority of Morton East students spend over an hour on TikTok.

Tiktok is the most time-consuming social media network in 2023. In a recent survey of 100 Morton East students, 27 mentioned they spend more than one hour a day on TikTok, 40 students reported spending 1 to 2 hours each day, and 33 students admitted to spending 3 or more hours on Tiktok.

Out of those 100 students, 53 stated that TikTok doesn’t affect their ability to complete homework or disturb their sleep, while 47 said TikTok does interfere with their work and sleep.

TikTok has experienced tremendous growth in recent years. Originally created as a platform for creating and sharing short, clipped videos, it became addictive due to its endless scrolling feature. This can become a distraction and disrupt daily routines and responsibilities, including work, school, and household tasks. Some individuals tend to overshare their personal lives, which can lead to criticism and increased scrutiny.

“I would say that since the school year has started, I find myself on TikTok WAY less. During the summer, I spent a lot of time on it. Now that I’m back to work, I would say it is definitely an hour or less per day. The weekends may be more though,” said staff member Mrs. Del Monaco.

However, some teachers don’t have as much will-power.

“Many times I find myself scrolling on TikTok before bed. I’ve realized that after 3 hours, I’m still awake,” said teacher Chef Yve.

And, other teachers actually get their teaching ideas and plans while scrolling TikTok.

“Tiktok does not distract me from my teaching work. I find a lot of activities and ideas on TikTok that I incorporate into my work, but it has never become a distraction. I do not open TikTok during the school day,” said Spanish teacher Ms. Esmeralda Ortiz.

However, other teachers get more distracted on TikTok easily,

“TikTok does sometimes keep me from sleeping, only because I find myself losing track of time. I use it to destress, but sometimes I lose track of time,” said teacher Ms. Sandoval.

And, other teachers simply don’t like using Tiktok.

“I do not have TikTok because I choose to spend my time on activities I enjoy that make me feel productive, like spending time with my family and being outdoors,” said Mr. Romero.”

View Comments (8)