Student athletes and the struggle of Halloween

Sebastian Cruz
Sebastian Cruz & Bianca Nicolas at Arts in the Dark parade

During the Month of October student athletes go through the struggle of balancing out Halloween festivities and sports.

Learning to balance both Halloween activities and sports helps develop discipline: Both provide bright career opportunities: Student athletes have double career opportunities. If they do well in sports, they may get a career in professional sports. If they get good grades in education, they may get hired by a well-paying company. Helps develop a holistic person: Education molds learners that are full of knowledge. Sports nurture learners that are full of invaluable soft skills. They develop leadership, problem-solving, and collaboration skills. Keeps learners motivated: Many things make students feel demotivated in their education experience. Sport is an exercise that keeps the brain refreshed. It helps keep the body active and less stressed. Sports keep learners motivated, and they do well in education. Student athletes have a lot on their schedule so being included in Halloween festivities might not be what most people think they would have time for, however, many still participate during the holiday of Halloween.

Studies have shown young athletes who balance studying, and sports develop strong discipline. They develop time management discipline, concentration, and hard work. Sports nurture learners that are full of invaluable soft skills. They develop leadership, problem-solving, and collaboration skills. Keeps learners motivated: Many things make students feel demotivated in their education experience.

According to a survey conducted at Morton East, more than half of students play sports throughout the month of October. For example, golf, girl’s tennis, boy’s soccer, boys and girls cross country, football, girls volleyball, and girls swim and dive.

“Yes, I do cross country, and boys swimming preseason, I missed my teams’ regionals meet to participate in the arts in the dark parade with my girlfriend” said Senior Sebastian Cruz

Many students have to make a sacrifice, sports or Halloween activities, but most are still able to do both on their tight schedules.

“I do swimming and Mexican folkloric dance outside of school; my dance team participates in the arts in the dark parade every year,” said senior Bianca Nicolas

Some students do sports that participate in Halloween activities as a group.

“Swimming season is over however, certain people made sectionals.  We still have practice, but whenever I can’t go, I just let the coach know,” senior Madison Berrios said.

Most sports are more lenient allowing their students to be able to participate in many Halloween activities.

“I’m currently out of season but I still have soccer practice, I never have time to do any holiday activities, especially during Halloween. I haven’t gone trick-or-treating since I was 5 years old,” St’ Patrick’s senior Jesus Sanchez said.

View Comments (1)