Morton East should have service animals

This+is+a+Great+Dane+in+training+to+be+a+service+animal.+This+dog+was+being+trained+by+Alex+Kasz+in+the+Sunshine+Canine+Training+program.+
This is a Great Dane in training to be a service animal. This dog was being trained by Alex Kasz in the Sunshine Canine Training program.

Morton East could have service animals for the people who need them here in the district and in the school as well.

According to the ADA, service animals are allowed in any place the general public is allowed, “So long as the presence of the service animal does not alter the services provided, create a danger to the animal or other patrons, or show behavior inappropriate for a service dog.” The exception to this is religious establishments and zoos. (This doesn’t mean that a service animal would never be allowed in these places, but the individual establishment would be able to decide whether to permit a service animal.)

What kind of laws here do you know regulating service animals? The laws regulating service animals in the USA are regulated at the federal level by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Per the ADA, a service animal is defined as an animal that is trained to help individuals who have physical or emotional disabilities with daily tasks. What type of requirements are there to have one at school or other places? Service animals here must be included in a student’s IEP (Individual Education Plan) or 504 plans to be allowed on campus. In what places do service animals need to have permission to be allowed? When flying with your service animal, you are required to fill out a form with the Department of Transportation and submit it to your airline as well as carry a hard copy with you when you fly. How many types of rules does it involve having one at school or other places? This animal must be under the control of its owner (handler), respectful of its environment, and potty trained. State laws require service animals to have necessary vaccinations and licenses. But there is no national registry or list of certified service animals. Schools, though, like Morton East, are not considered to be “public places.” State laws require service animals to have necessary vaccinations and licenses. But there is no national registry or list of certified service animals. What do you know about service animals? While dogs are the most common service animals, there are provisions that allow for miniature horses to be used to guide the blind. However, the use of a miniature horse as a service animal occurs at a much lower frequency in the United States. In a survey of 105 students, when asked whether they believe service animals should be allowed at school 78% said yes and 27% said no.

Well to some staff here service animals are good for society and we should have them at school districts and other communities.

“In Illinois (Illinois Human Rights Act and Service Animal Access Act), and under Title II of the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) a service animal is defined as a dog or a miniature horse that has been individually trained or is being trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. Any person with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability, may use a service animal if that service animal performs a task or does work related to that individual’s disability” said the Executive Director of Special Education, Corina Herrera.

Morton East Special Education resource teacher Ms. Lindsey Rymark was able to put us into contact with a friend, Alex Kasz, who actually trains service animals. (Ms. Rymark has actually helped train animals with her; a photo of one dog is attached.)

“Service animals are wonderful and make a world of difference to their handlers. I have had the honor of assisting a few handlers train their dogs for public access or for their assistance tasks!” said Alex Kasz, a member of International Association of Canine Professionals and Member of the United Shutzhund Clubs of America from the Sunshine Canine Training Program.

As others saw service animals where they worked or was in a building where they got to experience having a service animal for a student or individual with emotional or physical disability.

Ms. Rymark has witnessed service animals in action and sees their benefits.

“When I was a student teacher, I had a student who had a service dog that helped with her anxiety. One thing he was trained to do was put pressure on her to help her calm down,” said Special Education Teacher Lindsey Rymark.

But, most teachers don’t have experience with service animals; they need to review the laws or GCN Trainings available to them.

“I have no idea what the laws say sorry about that,” said Special Education Teacher Anthony Asay.

While there are no service animals registered on any of our campuses currently, animals have been brought in occasionally.  Morton Alternative school brought in service animals for emotional support one time.

“I found this super interesting:  staff at the alternative school told me that when the emotional support dogs were brought in they instinctively gravitated (approached) the students who were in distress and depressed about something,” English teacher Mr. Kent Frankfother said.

That’s something that other campuses and students should experience.

“Morton West does not have service animals. There is a program where service animals are brought in (temporarily) for students to experience and interact with.  But, they don’t stay,” said Special Education Teacher Christina Cartwright.