How does your family exchange gifts on Charismas?

Secret Santa? White Elephant Grab Bag? Gifts for One? Gifts for All?

Half of Morton East students still buy gifts for a specific person this year.

In a random survey of 94 Morton East students, 46 students said they will buy gifts for an assigned family member. A significant amount of 37 students exchanged through Secret Santa. One student does both, and three out of six students exchange gifts through grab bags and white elephant. Three of 94 students don’t pass out gifts at all.

“Christmas can really help people become closer to each other because in order to give, you have to put some thought into your gift,” sophomore Ladarion Logan said.

However, for some, gift exchanges aren’t a source of joy.

“Honestly, I find gift exchanges to be sorta stressful. I always wait until the last minute, and I always make myself crazy trying to think what the other person would really like. In the end, I usually end up just giving a gift card or cash. I need to just go that route every time and save myself the anxiety,” said English teacher Mr. Kent Frankfother.

Growing up can change what and how things go as life goes on.

“The establishment has changed over the course of my life obviously when I was young I enjoyed Christmas like everyone else, seeing the gifts and wondering what I will get made me excited. Christmas is about giving, and now that I’m a parent, I do enjoy seeing the joy on my kids’ faces and would rather give than receive,” said CrossFit teacher Mr. Josh Scaletta.

View Comments (1)