One immigrant tells border crossing tale

If you have immigrant parents, have you ever wondered about asking them how they made their journey here or where their family came from? 

Immigrants fill in labor gaps in industries where there is a shortage of local workers. They also contribute to scientific and technological advancements, participating in groundbreaking research and catalyzing change in many fields. Often, they exhibit a high degree of strength and determination by leaving their home countries in search of better opportunities, leading to success and integration in their new societies. Immigrant families often highly value education, pushing their children to achieve greatly and guiding them towards higher educational achievements within their communities. Cultural and ethnic diversity is brought to new home countries, introducing new traditions, languages, and perspectives. 

Here is one immigrant’s journey: 

From her hometown in Sahuayo Michoacán, she traveled by car to the airport of Guadalajara, flew to Mexicali, and took a taxi to el coyote, the person who would help her cross. The next day, she joined 20 other men who also sought to cross. (She was the only woman.) A car drove and dropped them near Mexicali Baja, California. As night fell, some slept while others awaited el Coyote’s signal. 

Helicopters were searching the area, so they hid under giant water supply tubes. El Coyote attempted to help the group cross the wall, but it was too risky. They made another attempt but were discovered by the Mexicali police. 

The police lined them up and, while drinking their water supply, stated, “Do you think you will survive with this little water? We found 2 corpses the other day!” 

She argued, “How will we survive if you all are drinking it! Let us pass through! All we want is to earn money for our families!” 

They were all sent back to el Coyote’s home in Mexicali with a warning not to try crossing again. Later that afternoon, they tried again. Some prayed, hoping for success, until a police car attempted to pull them over for a broken light. El Coyote tried to outrun the police, thinking they were already caught. Ultimately, they were surrounded by more police cars. 

Everyone exited the vehicle and started to run. She tried to run too but was knocked over. A few men from the group escaped. (Whether they made it over the border, she never found out.) Those caught, like her, were lined up. 

“QUIÉN ES EL COYOTE?” the police asked. No one answered. 

The police assumed it was her, being the only woman there. They handcuffed her and placed her in the car, telling her she was going to spend many years in jail. She argued that she was not who they thought she was. They took her to the police station to take her fingerprints and photo. 

After spending the night in the jail cell, they let her go. 

She made one last attempt the next morning—and successfully crossed into California—dirty and with a swollen foot. Her aunt came and picked her up to go to her home in Cicero, Illinois. 

Most who leave their home country seek a better life and opportunities to earn money for their families or for improved living conditions. For instance, this parent left her home in Mexico to make and send money to her baby—who was back in Mexico with her sisters. (She earned little money: 15 dollars a week, 2 dollars each day.) 

“México es muy diferente a Estados Unidos, el sueldo también es muy diferente. El dólar valía más allá que aquí, dejé toda mi familia y aquí nada más tenía una Tía, no la conocía mucho porque no convivía con ella, la vine conociendo aquí,” she said, reflecting on her experience.  

View Comments (1)