Hispanic Role Models Make an Impact at Morton East

Angelica+Espino+praising+Kali+Uchis+
Gian
Angelica Espino praising Kali Uchis

Students and staff at Morton East shared their opinions on Hispanic Heritage and the individuals who have paved the way for present-day Hispanics.

Over the years, recognition of Hispanic artists has significantly increased, owing to the profound impact made by influential figures in the industry. Artists such as Selena, Elvis Crespo, Ricky Martin, J. Lo, and Bad Bunny have spearheaded the evolution of the Latin industry.
After interviewing some students and staff, here’s what they had to say:

“I found Audrey Jimenez on Flowrestling, and they appear at major USAW events. She finished first in the boy’s and girl’s division for AZUSAW Freestyle wrestling in 2018. She inspires me because she’s Hispanic like me, so it gives me hope that I can wrestle and be just as accomplished as her someday. Her success makes me proud to be Hispanic, it makes me feel strong and I think many in and outside of my culture admire her charisma, attitude, and success,” senior Faith Comas said.

Having a Hispanic female role model excelling in an area of male dominance can truly inspire women to persevere and try new things they never thought of. Hispanic male role models also inspire people.

“Fernando Valenzuela. I discovered Valenzuela by baseball cards and games, he was a lefty pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Since finding out about him, I’ve wanted to be like him because he has achieved many baseball awards such as the Golden Glove Award and CY Young Award. I think he is an inspiration to all people but especially those of Hispanic descent to follow your dreams, and in this case to play baseball,” junior Peyton Lopez said.

It’s fulfilling to witness someone similar achieving the goals you aspire to achieve someday. Role models are not gender exclusive either.

“Someone that inspires me is Tony Ramos he was a professional American wrestler who wrestled for Iowa’s State University wrestling program and for team U.S.A. It’s the drive that he had even as a young wrestler that made the difference and made his standout from the crowd. Something he said that really sticks with me is “Was a small boy from Chicago with a big dream” this shows he started off as any other kid in Chicago wanting to accomplish his dreams as a young athlete. Which goes to show that anyone can come from any sort of background and be able to do something great, the only things that truly gets in the way is the amount of work that you are willing to put in for the sport,” junior Monica Garcia Said.

Coming from a similar background can significantly influence one’s pursuit of dreams by showcasing that being Hispanic and from the same city can lead to success, which is inspiring.

“Kali Uchis. I think she’s an inspiration to many because Kali keeps it real. First of all, she’s all natural. She also speaks about issues going on in Hispanic communities. She often talks about the struggles she went through and showcases the wrongs going on in Columbia. I think many people look up to her for that,” senior Angelica Espino said.

An artist who authentically connects with their audience helps followers feel a genuine connection without any sense of difference from the world around them.

“Karol G. I discovered her through her music, I think I really got into her music during Covid and it was all I really listened to. Covid was not a great time but her music got me through it. She said she almost gave up on music but now she is one of the best Latina artists in history. Her last albums message was all about being able to overcome anything that comes your way and that tomorrow will always be a better day. I think it is wonderful to see Spanish singing artists be part of mainstream media. When I was younger in the 90s the only big-name Hispanic artists would sing in English, so it is so wonderful to see Hispanic artists become famous singing in Spanish!” Spanish teacher Elizabeth Mendoza said.

The stories of these Hispanic role models motivate the students here at Morton East, by going beyond cultural boundaries, showing resilience, passion, determination, and that there is no limits to greatness when fueled by Hispanic heritage. Students and staff at Morton East are inspired by these role models to embrace their roots, break barriers, and pursue their dreams.