Wonder, Coraline spilt the award for best book of ’23

Paul Castaneda
the summary of the book wonder

Wonder and Coraline are declared the best books of 2023, according to a survey. Out of 100 Morton East students randomly surveyed, 35 chose Wonder, while another 35 preferred Coraline as their top book of the year.

Wonder, written by R.J. Palacio, features August Pullman as the main character. August, born with a facial difference that made traditional schooling challenging, had always been homeschooled. However, upon entering 5th grade, he joins Beecher Prep, and the book explores his trials and tribulations in a normal school setting. On the other hand, Coraline, written by Neil Gaiman, follows the main character, Coraline, who discovers a door leading to a familiar yet strange place where her family exists, but they are peculiar.

Ms. Genge, a literature-savvy teacher, shares her thoughts on the two top picks: “I LOVED both Wonder and Coraline for similar, yet different reasons. Both of the books have several topics/themes that can be related to and discussed. Coraline has quite the darker vibe!”

Ms. Genge also recommends some books similar to both Wonder and Coraline: “Similar books to WonderFish in a Tree, Restart, El Deafo, and Hello, Universe. Similar books to CoralineThe Graveyard Book, The Girl Who Drank the Moon, and Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.”

In conclusion, both books received high votes from Morton East High School students, and Ms. Genge’s endorsement adds to their acclaim. Wonder deals with a character striving to fit in, while Coraline presents a darker story of a girl finding her place in a strange and fearful setting. Another notable mention in the top three is the graphic novel Long Way Down. Readers are encouraged to explore the recommended books for a different and enjoyable reading experience.

View Comments (2)