New visual novel club brings its story to Morton East

a image of the former Secretary: Angel Mendoza (left) and current vice president Paul Castaneda (right)

Morton East High School has welcomed a new club focused on visual novels, a unique form of interactive storytelling.

According to historical insights from Wikipedia, the visual novel genre dates back to titles like “The Portopia Serial Murder Case,” released in 1983. Notably, it dominated the PC gaming industry, comprising 70% of the market from the early ’80s to 2006. Visual novels gained traction in the U.S. around 2000, with fans translating popular titles such as “Higurashi: When They Cry,” “Umineko When They Cry,” and “Steins;Gate” into English and other languages. Visual novels are characterized by their semi-interactive narratives, often combining storytelling with still images or moving illustrations, occasionally featuring a degree of interactivity. In the 1990s, these novels predominantly utilized pixel art, later evolving into more diverse artistic styles.

A recent survey of 100 students revealed that approximately 30 students were familiar with what visual novels are, indicating that there is room for growth in raising awareness about this unique medium.

One student emphasizes that life’s imperfections teach us valuable lessons through storytelling.

“I personally wouldn’t change the ending to the stories I’ve read. In reality, life isn’t perfect and that’s okay! I think the endings of books are written as they are to teach us the full meaning of them,” Alexis J. Grenier Petruncio said.

To delve into the motivations and perspectives of the Visual Novel Club, we spoke with Mr. Elkins. He stressed the significance of student-initiated clubs in fostering a sense of community among students who share common interests. Mr. Elkins has encountered students with a passion for visual novels over the years, reinforcing the idea that there is an audience for this club.

“When students want to start a club that’s great as it brings a community of students together who share the same passion” Mr. Elkins

Although Mr. Elkins is familiar with visual novels, he was unaware of a dedicated visual novel club at Morton East. However, he mentioned that students had approached him about starting such a club, indicating a growing demand for a dedicated space.

“I am familiar with visual novels. Many students of mine over the years have expressed interest in them.” Mr. Elkins

In the past, students interested in visual novels were guided toward the “otaku club.” However, as student interest in visual novels grew, they sought a club tailored to their specific interests. Mr. Elkins underlined the importance of community for students, highlighting the need for spaces where they can connect with like-minded peers.

“Community is essential for students” Mr. Elkins

The Vice President of the Visual Novel Club, Paul Castaneda, sees the club as a valuable space for students to relax, socialize, and make friends before the school day begins. The club serves as a recreational and social outlet.

“I see there is value in the club and it’s mainly for people who want to hang out and relax before the start of the day and meet new people to make friends” Paul Castaneda said

Mr. Frankfother, a journalism teacher, confessed that comprehending visual novels was challenging, underscoring the uniqueness of this storytelling medium.

“It’s hard to wrap my mind around what visual novels actually are,” Mr. Frankfother said.

The club’s sponsor, Mr. White, decided to support the club when one of his students approached him with the idea. Recognizing the student’s enthusiasm and the potential of the club, he enthusiastically stepped in.

“Well one of my students asked me so I wanted to help him out since he was a good student, and it was a cool idea,” Mr. White said.

Mr. White believes that students coming together independently to share their passions is of paramount importance. He envisions a future where club members not only read but also write their own visual novels, fostering creativity and self-expression.

“I want to see the students of the club write their own Visual novel rather than just reading them,” Mr. White said.

The President of the Visual Novel Club, Michael Armea, outlined the primary purpose of the club as a recreational space for students to unwind and catch up on schoolwork. His personal appreciation for visual novels motivates him to continue the club even after he graduates.

“The club is more for recreation purpose to sum it up to have a good and chill out and to catch on any schoolwork,” Michael Armea said.

When questioned about the club’s future plans, Michael expressed a desire to raise funds for equipment upgrades and increased club promotion, indicating the club’s commitment to its mission.

“When fundraising comes up, we can finally upgrade gear and promote the club more,” Micheal Armea said.

In summary, the Visual Novel Club at Morton East High School is a valuable addition, bringing together students who share a passion for unique storytelling through visual novels. The support of school staff and the dedication of club members and leaders create an environment where students can explore and appreciate this distinct form of narrative. The club’s emphasis on community underscores the importance of spaces where students can connect over shared interests.