Spirit week brings Hoco home

More students participated this year than ever

Thoughts on HOCO Spirit week 

The majority of students participated in Homecoming Spirit Week’s dress-down days — but pajama day was the favorite.

In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 84 said they participated in Spirit Week. 23 said they participated on all days, 65 out of 100 dressed in pajamas on Pajama Day. 53 dressed in country club vs. Country western. 47 dressed for superhero day. 61 dressed for sports team day. 52 dressed for spirit wear and 16 said they did not participate. 

Some interesting facts about Out of uniform days in school is that schools use these days to fundraise; students pay a small fee to dress the theme. This can go to a cause or charity. Spirit days in schools allow students to wear clothes that represent school, mascot, or team. Designated themes such as, crazy hat day, pajama day, or decades days bring out the creativity on some of the students. Teachers and staff may use out of uniforms to motivate students for good behavior, academic achievement, or meeting certain goals. Some themes can be to show part of cultural celebration where students represent their cultural heritage. 

“I always enjoy an out of uniform school day because they always show our true self’s and people can see how we look like outside of school, it’s also a nice experience since we can wear our own outfit and choose what we’d like to wear and without fail I personally always acknowledge how comfortable I am in school with clothes that’s not uniform. I never really mind being in school if I am comfortable,” senior Marco Martinez said. 

A lot of the Morton East students have many thoughts about spirit week and their themes when it comes to the dress code. Such as no jeans, no hoodies, or no hats on most days. 

“What I like about spirit week is change from always wearing uniforms. However, what I also dislike about spirit week is despite being a change of clothes, it is not allowed to wear jeans,” Former student, America Zarate said. 

“I really like out of uniform days, but the thing is that they don’t really allow you to wear what you want, like Alanis said, no jeans or hoodies, which it doesn’t really make sense because how does it affect the school?!,” senior Valerie Almanza said. 

Some of the staff members comment on Spirit week about the increase/ decrease in behavior 

“Students do try to go around the rules that are set for events like this,” Dean Natalie Kozlowski said. 

Other staff members comment on the increase or decrease in participation. 

“I think students enjoy out-of-uniform days and the majority of students participate. There is no noticeable uptick in these days,” Dean Sarah Lorraine said. 

Some teachers say their thoughts on students trying to make up their behavior to be able to participate in out-of-uniform days. 

“In theory it’s a good idea, the situation can take advantage,” English teacher Ms. Young said.