Students put off costume prep

One house in Cicero gets into the Halloween spirit — ready for trick or treaters!!

Most Morton East students delay costume preparation until the last minute – if they even plan on dressing up.

Halloween ranks as the third most popular holiday for teenagers, with millennials elevating it to the second position, according to data from www.funcrewusa.com. This surge in interest indicates a growing trend toward hosting Halloween parties.

The roots of Halloween lie primarily in Celtic and European traditions, particularly in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and parts of North America. Many countries have their own distinct cultural and historical celebrations, resulting in diverse Halloween traditions around the world.

The production and sale of Halloween costumes and candies have a substantial economic impact on various countries. Businesses in multiple sectors, including retail, confectionery, and costume manufacturing, thrive due to the high demand for these products.

In a recent survey of 100 Morton East students, 42 students reported not having a Halloween costume this year. Many students express the belief that they have outgrown Halloween festivities.

“I once saw an alien inflatable costume; it was funny how the alien was carrying the person,” senior Javier Cabral said.

Yaritza Coyotl-Flores shared a costume that she found funny from last year’s Halloween.

“The funniest costume I saw last year was a kid dressed like a toilet paper roll,” senior Yaritza Coyotl-Flores said.

Lastly, Edgar Moreno expressed a strong opinion about the funniest costume he has seen since last year.

“The funniest costumes I seen was a kid dressed as a rainbow and another in a condom costume,” senior Edgar Moreno said.