Haunted Houses are becoming less popular this year

Elizabeth Arroyo
senior Edgar Moreno looking up haunted houses to visit this year

Haunted houses have a long history, originating from the time when people pondered the existence of ghosts. According to V.M. Simandan, they initially manifested as haunted caves and castles, later expanding over the centuries. The concept dates back to ancient Rome, where a young boy claimed that an old man with a long white beard haunted his house. While some dismissed it as a fabrication, it underscored the prevalent belief in spirits during that era.

Furthermore, Chat GPT highlights the roots of haunted houses in ancient folklore. Over time, haunted houses have gained significant traction in popular culture, serving as a wellspring of inspiration for numerous horror movies, books, and TV shows.

In a recent survey of 35 Morton students, it was revealed that 23 students had no plans to visit a haunted house this year, while only 12 indicated their intention to do so.

“I like being scared. I like not knowing what’s next or what’s about to come. I like the atmosphere, the smoke, the sounds, and the characters,” said maker space helper Mr. O’Malley.

While some relish the spine-chilling experience, others may find it less enjoyable.

“Haunted Houses give me a good scare, but I do not like it when the actors jump out or touch to scare,” senior Edgar Moreno shared.

While some may not enjoy the scare, others may recommend it. “I recommend going to a haunted house. I think it’s fun to be scared and to do something different,” Mr. O’Malley suggested.

Furthermore, people may recommend haunted houses for the scare while others appreciate the intricate decorations.

“13 Floors is the best haunted house, 100% recommended. The design and set-up were good,”according to senior Edgar Moreno.

Individual reactions to haunted houses vary. While some might feel spooked by a single actor or character

“Freddy Krueger scared me the most, just his appearance and his blades on his hands,” Mr. O’Malley confessed.

Different characters evoke distinct fears

“I am really afraid of Jigsaw; I don’t like his movies,”senior Uriel Bernabe pointed out,

View Comments (1)