What’s your favorite Halloween movie?

Students too scared for horror choose animated options

When people ask you what your favorite Halloween movie, what do you say? 

There are many different genres in Halloween movies, everyone has different tastes in movies, and some individuals simply prefer realistic and true-to-life stories over fictional and fantastical ones. They might find more enjoyment and emotional connection in stories that mirror their own experiences or depict relatable human situations. Truly, what is the real difference between both genres? 

Realistic horror movies like “The Exorcist,” “The Conjuring”, “The Nun” are all examples of realistic movies. While “The Nun” is not on a based true story but however the movies do an excellent job at making it realistic and that is what excites people; the adrenaline rush people get once they get scared. On the other hand, it is not the same for Cartoon Halloween movies because you can say mostly everything that happens in cartoons is never realistic or is simply something silly that you would not really think it is possible for something like that to happen.  

One example can be “Happy Halloween, Scooby Doo!” Scarecrows don’t obviously come to life and hunt you down or have witches trying to kidnap you, or dead people coming out of their own grave. 

“I prefer watching realistic Halloween movies because the plot is better,” senior Jimena Betancourt said.

Another student feels differently.

“I prefer cartoon Halloween movies because it reminds me of my childhood,” senior Jorge Alvarez says.

We asked ten random people which type of scary movies do they like, and four out of the ten said they prefer watching scary cartoon movies to realistic ones. 

One person out of the four prefers cartoon movies.

“Cartoon because no movies are scary either way. First Halloween movies you’ll ever watch are cartoon, so they’ll become classics for you and who does not love that nostalgia?” says Morton East alumnus Andres Martinez .

Many people have lots of different opinions on scary movies. On whether it is cartoon or realistic, scary, or not, lastly, or even if it reminds them of their childhood. Let us all enjoy the season of horror movies in what we feel most comfortable. Happy Halloween!