Community Organizations help in the area

This+is+the+entrance+to+Youth+Crossroad+offered+here+at+Morton+East+to+all+students.+
This is the entrance to Youth Crossroad offered here at Morton East to all students.

The majority of Morton East students do not know about community services or organizations.

According to the University of Kansas, community organizations foster a sense of community, providing opportunities for networking and social engagement to many people. They create spaces for people to come together and share different experiences and learn how to build a bond with others within the community. These community organizations offer extremely helpful services, many including assistance with healthcare, housing, food, and employment. Community organizations are based on volunteers who give their time and skills to help others in the community. Volunteers often assist with various activities and fundraisers. In many communities, these organizations aim to help with the education and development of young people. They offer after-school programs, mentorship, tutoring, and scholarships to help youth achieve their full potential. These community organizations are there to help people in and outside of the community with many services available. In a random survey of 100 Morton East Students, 68 students said they do not know of any community organizations, and 32 said they have heard of community organizations named Corazon and Youth Crossroad.

“The community has improved on the resources and supports they offer. There is a variety of support for families in the community and for the youth in the school as well. As someone who grew up in Cicero and attended District 201 schools, there has been an influx of support from the students and community members. I am grateful to work for Youth Crossroads, an organization that helps youth and their families with their mental and emotional needs. This is just the beginning of the major need there is in Cicero and Morton schools,” Cristina Robles said.

Community organizations do not just happen inside of school and are offered just to students; they happen outside of school too.  Here in Cicero, many have gone to or heard of Corazon.

“Going to Corazon has been life-changing; they’ve helped me with my assignments to raise my grades, and they’ve helped me look for colleges that specialize in my dream career path,” Junior Daniel Quiroz said.

Many students go to Corazon to find help with school, but many others go to Corazon to meet new people and enjoy new experiences.

“Some things I really like about Corazón are that it’s a good place for high schoolers from anywhere in the area to just hang out and meet new people, and there’s always an opportunity to meet people who work in a career that you might want to learn more about,” Senior Rayne Hill said.

With students enjoying going to Corazon, counselors here at Morton School really think these organizations are better for the community and better for the school.

“I think the community resources are important to this community really truly any community because relying on the schools solely to provide services to our students limits us and the more help we can get for our students and for our families the better will be” Counselor Monica Melendez said.

While counselors here at Morton East believe these organizations and services are amazing to the community, students have only heard of Corazon and the amazing things they do.

“I only know of Corazon, and it provides a safe place to make friends, talk about things you can’t with your family, and it provides you with resources to get through things. I also believe it mainly focuses on Latin youth,” Senior Galilea Medina said.

Corazon is a wonderful thing for the community that offers many things to the people in the community, but for some people in Cicero, they have never heard of any community organizations.

“I have never heard of any community organizations here in Cicero or anywhere, but I do think community organizations are available to help people,” Senior Mia Arrieta Miranda said.

List of Community Services and Organizations:

1. Corazon Community Services- 5339 W 25th street (708) 656-1400
  2. Youth Crossroad- 6501 Stanley Ave, Berwyn, IL (708) 484-7400
  3. Rosecrane- 120 S Marion St, Oak Park, IL (815) 391-1000
  4. Mujeres Latinas- North Riverside (708) 442-1299
  5. Sarah’s Inn -Oak Park IL (708) 386-3305
  6. FEMA Disaster Relief Center- Morton College- 3801 S. Central Ave (800) 621-3362
  7. SASS (screening, Assessment and support Services)- will go to home or school for an assessment HOTLINE (800) 345-9049
  8. Neighborhood Center of Cicero- Food Distributions Center- 5341 w Cermak Rd (708) 863-6300
  9.  Interfaith Leadership Project- 1510 S 49Th Ct (708) 652-711
  10. Family focus Cicero- 1500 S 59th Ct (708) 652-0900
View Comments (1)