Students Share Initial Thoughts on Usher’s Halftime Show

Yeniah Matos-Delgado
The Field at SuperBowl 58

Students and staff at Morton share their opinions on this year’s Super Bowl Halftime Performance.

Performers at the Super Bowl halftime show are paid union scale fees that are set by SAG-AFTRA. Those fees allow performers to make the least amount of money for their appearance. The NFL does, however, pay all costs associated with the show, including travel expenses for the performers. Performers often make more money from the massive exposure the NFL gives them, which leads to increased album sales and boosted earnings in other areas such as social media. This year, Usher will be taking the stage and some don’t know what to expect.

In a survey taken by random Morton students, 68% said they watch the Super Bowl. 100% of those who said yes also watch the halftime show. Overall, 90% of Morton students tune into the halftime show, but 68% of students don’t think Usher was a good choice.

Here’s what people had to say about Usher’s upcoming performance.

“I’m excited for Usher, but the people he’s bringing out don’t make sense. He’s bringing out Post Malone and some other country singer; it doesn’t make sense,” said sophomore Yaritza Padilla. However, not everyone feels the same way.

“Daddy’s home,” Senior Gabriela Fernandez said, showing anticipation for an energetic and entertaining performance. Some people are unsure if Usher will have a good show.

“I hope it’s not boring and actually entertaining. I hope he’s not just singing his love songs and doing the same two dance moves. I don’t know what to expect cuz, isn’t he kinda old?” Senior Angelica Espino asked, emphasizing the importance of an engaging performance. Usher is forty-five and has been in the music industry for 30 years. That being said, Usher does have many famous friends.

“I hope he brings out Justin Bieber; it’s Usher so,” Senior Marcos Abrigo said, hinting at the possibility of a recreation of a VMA performance, previously performed by the pair. Currently, Usher has hinted at appearances by Lil Jon and Ludacris.

“Hmmm… I guess Usher is a good choice. But I’m honestly not that excited. But then again, I can’t think of anyone else that should’ve or could’ve been picked. Remember, this is kind of a return for Usher. He performed in 2011 with the Black Eyed Peas, but now he’ll get to shine on his own. I do think he will do better than Rihanna because Usher has been putting on a big Vegas show for months, so he has had a lot of recent practice with over-the-top spectacles and dance numbers and props and sets,” Pop Culture History teacher Mrs. Rohde said, offering a broader perspective on Usher’s potential performance and comparing it to past shows.

In 2023, Rihanna was the performer at the Super Bowl halftime show. Rihanna gave a performance that was loved by many. After taking a seven-year hiatus from music, Rihanna reminded her fans why they love her so much with a well-mixed setlist that showcased her top hits. Usher hasn’t been as popular recently either, but you might know Usher from these top hits: “Yeah!” featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris, “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love” featuring Pitbull, “My Boo” featuring Alicia Keys, and “OMG” featuring will.i.am. Hopefully, Usher will remind us all why we love his music with a good performance.

View Comments (1)