Annual Touch-Rugby tournament crowns champs

Boys Rugby held its 8th Annual Touch 7s (ok…5s) Championship. Congratulations to our intramural tournament winners: Will DeBias, Orlando Montoya, Adrian Valdovinos, Ivan Marcelo, and Jaden Sanchez.

Morton’s 8th annual Touch Rugby tournament crowned (well, belted) the 2023 champions.

This year’s intramural tournament winners were Will DeBias, Orlando Montoya, Adrian Valdovinos, Ivan Marcelo, and Jaden Sanchez.

Touch Rugby is a two-hand touch version of rugby. Because there is no full-on tackle, it can be safely done indoors during the winter months, and it is a great training tool in the offseason. For one night a week over the past 6 weeks, players have run informal Touch Rugby games in the Field House at Morton West. This culminates in a once-a-year event held the week before Christmas Break – a Touch Rugby tournament.

“While the more physical elements of rugby are absent from Touch Rugby, it definitely works more on the finesse skills of our game: passing and receiving, timing your run, matching up on defense, and conditioning. It is also a lot of fun,” said boys rugby coach Mr. Aaron Sweeney.

This year, four teams competed.

“To set the event off as something special and to get the competitive juices flowing, we immortalize our champions by writing their names on the back of the championship belt. Kids really feel a sense of pride and accomplishment in getting their names on the Belt. We have been running this event since 2016,” said Coach Sweeney.