Most students watching, playing football on Thanksgiving

Does your family play football in Thanksgiving?  The majority of students at Morton East will likely be watching a game — and in some instances, playing a game — this Thanksgiving.  

Out of 100 Morton East students, 67 students said they watch and play football during thanksgiving as a tradition while 33 don’t. 

Playing football or watching football at Thanksgiving has became a tradition for many families through the decades. But, how did this tradition start?  There’s some different theories out there.  According to CNN.com, the tradition dates far back to 1876, when the Intercollegiate Football Association starting holding their championship game on the holiday. 

But, according to the Pro Football Network, these traditions date back to 1934 when George A. Richards, the then-owner of the NFL Detroit Lions, intentionally scheduled a game on Thanksgiving to attract more fans  over the holiday.  It worked, and more teams started doing the same thing.  

Later on , many families started playing the game as well as a form of keeping up with the tradition. Now, many families have established their own traditions of Thanksgiving touch football games — tackle if you are from a more aggressive family.