Girl’s Powderpuff Returns to Morton School’s for Homecoming Week

Jeanette
Morton East and Morton West senior powderpuff teams going head to head for the final game.

Morton East’s girls’ Powderpuff games are making a comeback to kick off the school year during this Homecoming week. Powder Puff, a popular American high school and college tradition, involves girls participating in flag football games as an alternative to traditional football. Morton’s Powderpuff team comprises approximately 15 participants and engages in a Homecoming Week game where each grade from each school competes until one emerges victorious. According to a survey of 100 students conducted at Morton East, 62 students were aware of the girls’ Powderpuff team, while 38 students did not know of it.

Members of Morton East’s Powderpuff team shared their memories and practice experiences leading up to the big game, which took place on Thursday, September 28.

“I did it last year and it was fun, plus it got me doing something productive. Also, I’m not going to lie, (practice) was all over the place, so we tried to create practices that worked for everyone. Overall, I think it’s really fun, and a memorable experience of high school.” senior Gabriela Vilches said.

Other players expressed similar thoughts about their practices.

“(Practices) just been kind of all over the place, but usually, we go practice at the community park since sometimes our field is taken, and I don’t know, we just warm up and start doing our drills and plays. I even played last year, and I enjoyed it, so I wanted to do it again” senior Angelica Espino said.

Despite some challenges during practice, the experience did not affect everyone. The atmosphere created by the players and the leaders led to precious memories. Ms. Ellison has been leading the Powderpuff team for the East senior class since their sophomore year. Despite the drawbacks, there has been some positivity.

“I loved everyone coming together before the game, the support you could feel from the team, and overall, how excited everyone was to be a part of it, running Powderpuff has been pretty good! We’ve had a lot more involvement this year and with girl’s flag football now being a large club at our school, that has definitely helped increase our numbers and in general, I think seniors are excited for their year! However, the most stressful part about Powderpuff is coordinating everyone’s schedules in order to make practices happen.” English teacher, Ms. Ellison said.

On Thursday, September 28, the girls’ Powderpuff game commenced. Each grade faced off against another until the final match, which featured Morton East’s Seniors versus Morton West’s Seniors. Key player Andrea Aguilar of Morton East managed to score a touchdown for the senior team, altering the point difference between the teams midway through the game. However, Itzel Rodriguez from Morton West scored two touchdowns in just four minutes, giving West the lead and securing their victory in the tournament.

“I was really excited for the game. I was ready to lead my team to victory since that’s what we were all hoping for. We might have lost during the final but overall the girls played amazing and had the best determination during the games,” senior Andrea Aguilar said.

Following the game, Powderpuff garnered the attention of underclassmen, leaving them contemplating whether to participate in this enjoyable tradition.

“You know, maybe (I’ll do powderpuff) cause like I’m not sure what I’m going to do for the next two years and I’m open to anything,” sophomore Alexia Briseno said.