Adventures in Research

Josselyn Murillo-Moreno demonstrating human anatomy. (Photo provided by Murillo.)

Josselyn Murillo-Moreno is a Morton East High School senior. She is taking a few honors classes now, but “Medical Interventions Honors” is her favorite. Murillo has been a dedicated student who hopes to work as a nurse in the future. Murillo has always had a strong interest in nursing and dreams of being a nurse she has always wanted to be. Murillo works a part-time job outside of school, ideally 30 to 35 hours a week. Murillo favorite part is to enjoy spending time with her family and friends. 

Murillo stated she intends to go to college after high school and her goal is to study nursing and “the reason for this is that, aside from making people feel better, science and medicine have always fascinated me.” 

“I plan on reaching my goals by making sure to follow my dreams, make sure to stay in college and be able to complete everything although it will be a difficult time, I know it will be worth it,” Murillo said. 

Murillo has learned to become strong, having to work plenty of hours and still maintaining with school and having to maintaining good grades.  

“I hope to have my dream job and be able to get everything I dream for; I hope in my future I can be happy and live in peace. I know this hard work I will thank it later even though it could be hard because where I work could be stressed out,” Murillo said. 

She said that she is a part time cashier, she works where she must deal with plenty of rude customers. 

“A lot of patience, I been working now about a year as a cashier, and it takes a lot because every person is different, nice people or mean people. Mostly a lot of mean people have yelled at me, but I learn to just walk away and have patience,” Murillo said. 

She says she believes having a good relationship with her family is the most important thing to her. Having weekends with her sibling is something important. 

“I am the youngest of 3 siblings. All my siblings are like parents to me, especially my older sister. She’s been a role model to me my whole life and I will always be grateful for that,” Murillo said. 

She said that being close with family is something important and wants to always have a close relationship.  

“The most important people in my life are my siblings. I wouldn’t be the person I am without them. As well as my nephew he is the little sibling I never got to have as I mentioned I am the youngest one,” Murillo said.  

Murillo is proud of her siblings and looks up to them and hopes to make them proud. 

“Some of the happiest moments in life have been just being with my family, being with my family makes me happy because I get to be with them and make happy memories. Mostly we just gather all and have a meal and talk about what’s going on in our lives,” Murillo said.  

She knows her passion to be a nurse will push to her happiness. Murillo has been taking medicals classes since her sophomore year of high school she wants to be prepared and know everything she can. 

“I am currently taking Medical Interventions Honors and it is a class where we learn about biology, genotypes and PCR. I am taking this class because I think it will help me with my future career,” Murillo said.  

A teacher from Morton East, Brian White, was Murillo’s history teacher during that year. White was nothing but supportive to Murillo throughout her junior year. White believes Murillo will achieve her goals and knows her strong personal skills will help her succeed. 

“Jocelyn smiles a lot and has a very good sense when she serves other people in one form or another because she has very good personal skills,” White said. 

White also gave a piece of advice for Murillo in the future to “keep on smiling and be kind to your friends.” 

Ruth Bustamante is one of Murillo’s friends and she said that she is an excellent student, and a committed person- very nice and unique too.  

Bustamante said, “I hope Josselyn lives in her life comfortably. Not worried about money, her future, and her living situations, I hope she gets her dream job and be able to live a happy life.” 

Josselyn Murillo seems to have a secure and bright future ahead of her. Even though other universities have already contacted and accepted her as a student, she is currently concentrating on choosing one that would meet all her wants and needs. Murillo wants to work in the medical industry and being incredibly passionate about whatever she does, will help her get to the end of that journey.