Hispanic Music is Rising in the community

Alexa Jimena Ochoa
Ricky Martin at the Trilogy tour concert singing at the United Center in Chicago.

It’s Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, and Ricky Martin — in that order — according to students at Morton East.  Recently, all three performed at “The Triology” concert at United Center, Chicago.

The history of the Hispanic music genre is a cultural phenomenon, currently rising in the music industry alongside others. However, some artists are more well-known and popular. One Pony Express News reporter attended “The Trilogy” concert and shared some interesting insights.

On November 2nd, at the United Center, Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, and Ricky Martin performed as part of their “The Trilogy” tour. The concert elicited mixed reactions from the audience, showcasing chart-topping singles and crossover hits. Pitbull opened the show with his iconic songs, including “Don’t Stop the Party,” “Hotel Room Service,” “Hey Baby (Drop It to the Floor),” and more. He also performed “Time of Our Lives,” “DJ Got Us Fallin’ in Love,” and his collaboration with Jennifer Lopez, “On The Floor.” At one point, Pitbull included “Timber” and, to the audience’s delight, Daddy Yankee’s “Gasolina,” igniting the crowd with his energetic hits and effortlessly getting everyone to dance and party throughout the evening.

Following Pitbull’s performance, Enrique Iglesias took the stage. Although the crowd’s enthusiasm wasn’t as high as it was for Pitbull, he managed to captivate them with his hit songs, including “Hero,” “Bailando,” “El Perdón,” “I Like It,” “Tonight (I’m Loving You),” “Be With You,” “Escape,” and “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This).” Lastly, Ricky Martin transported the audience back to the 1990s with songs like “Shake Your Bon Bon,” “She Bangs,” “Vuelve,” “Adrenalina,” “Pégate,” and “Maria.” His outstanding performance of “Livin’ La Vida Loca” had the crowd on their feet and moving, seamlessly transitioning into “The Cup of Life,” creating a memorable end to the concert.

In a survey of 101 Morton East students, about 54% said Pitbull was their favorite, 28% said Enrique Iglesias, and finally, 20% said Ricky Martin.

“I never went to a concert of Ricky Martin although I love his music, especially the songs ‘Maria’ and ‘Pégate,’ as I like his style of music. I also like Pitbull’s motivation, though it is hard to choose since the three of them have very good music in the Hispanic music industry. Pitbull is one of the original singers who made the rise of reggaeton music along with others in the early 2000s. I do choose Ricky Martin for his type of songs, which stands out to me the most,” said an unknown therapist.

However, people have different tastes in Hispanic music and the energy it brings to them.

“I really like Ricky Martin along with Pitbull. Pitbull, in a way, motivates people through his songs, very uplifting. Even in some ways, the genre of hip-hop is related through the beat of the music, making people very energetic and pumped to dance at his concerts and even at parties. As Ricky Martin has a suave voice, his music makes people dance and listen to slow dancing, salsa, merengue, and even other very soft and graceful dances that everyone enjoys,” said a person who wishes to remain private.

Others are not familiar with many Hispanic artists, only recognizing one but not listening to them much.

“You see, I love Pitbull for the songs he does, but Enrique motivates people, but his songs are mostly romantic, not all fiesta or para bailar a los clubs porque casi todos que escuchan su música bailan con pasos suaves y no tan rápidas con los canciones de Pitbull or Ricky porque esos dos de Ellos tienen canciones más movidas para bailar a eventos,” said senior Morton East student Alexa Jimena Ochoa.

However, some people have never paid much attention to who sings the song or even the song itself.

“Who are those people?” said Allyssa, a student from another school.

“I’m sorry; I don’t know who those people are,” said Morton East seenior Andrea Corona.

View Comments (1)