SAT goes digital

Yes, you heard that right! After almost 100 years of the SAT’s existence, the test is finally going to be on your computers!

During the year 2024, the physical paper test will no longer be in effect; however, the replacement will be an online computer test. There are a few things you need to know. The SAT will be 2 hours instead of the traditional 3-hour test. Reading passages on the test will have one question per passage. During the math portion, calculators will be accessible throughout the test. It’s also adaptive, adjusting to students’ answers to make it easier on the student. SAT scores will be given back not in weeks after completion but days after completing the SAT.

According to CollegeTransitions.com, “the SAT will no longer be administered in a physical format, and test-takers from 2024 onward will now take the digital version.” However, some educators are against this.

A quote from usatoday.com says, “Educators, test-prep experts, and youth advocates, however, are worried the digital rollout could make the admissions process more precarious. They say many students, especially those without the means or savvy to keep up with the latest developments, are ill-prepared for what’s to come.” This means that some educators and test prep experts feel as if the Digital version of the SAT might fail or crash down. They also believe students don’t have the practical knowledge to work around the new digital format.

“I remember junior year, the SAT was still on paper, and one of my responsibilities was to sort the papers by last name. It took days to do that, and it was so complicated. At the end, nothing really got done because it was so confusing. So, I think going digital can really be helpful and faster overall,” said fellow Morton East student and current Morton dean’s helper Estela Guzman.

“I think there are both advantages and disadvantages. The test is shorter and predictive, calculators are embedded into the system (so students don’t have to worry about having one or not), and questions can be marked for review and it shows up at the end for them to review. Although students are accustomed to completing work digitally, it is timed, with which students may have difficulty. Additionally, technology is always a concern. The results of the SAT affect our status on the Illinois School Report Card. My main concern is technology: if students have their computers charged, bring their chargers, glitches with the network. I think scores will increase because it is a predictive test (the next question is based on how the current question is answered),” said Ms. Rzadzki, Morton East’s assistant principal.

As the SAT transitions to a digital format, opinions are divided among educators and students alike, with concerns ranging from technological issues to the potential impact on the admissions process.