History made as students head to National History Day state competition

Andres Perez Jr, Reporter

Competing for the best history project and best usage of the English language taught by modern teachers has always been a very intense and beautiful experience for both teens and teachers.  It’s so mesmerizing some get involved with National History Day in Illinois to inspire the country with its great capabilities and knowledge.

This year, three groups progressed to the state level of history day competition based on their exhibits and performance; one group received honorable recognition at the regional level for their website.

Juniors, Andrea Deltoro and Fernanda Barrios are representing Morton East at the Virtual Illinois History Day in April. They will compete for a chance to represent Illinois at the National History Day Contest in June, with their performance on the American Impressionist painter Mary Cassatt. They perform as Mary Cassatt as she begins her journey at 16 and finally when Mary becomes part of the famous Impressionists group of Degas and Monet. Their performance shows how her art became a way to debate the role of women as artists and how her art contributed to Impressionist Movement of the 1870’s.
(L to R) Juniors Cynthia Chavez and Elizabeth Nava pose with their Illinois History Day state qualifying exhibit: “Blame Emotions for the Murder”. Their exhibit focused on the debates and diplomatic exchanges that occurred on gun control and school safety after the 1999 Columbine school shooting that resulted in the death of 12 students and 1 teacher. They compete for a chance to represent Morton East and Illinois at the National History Day Contest in June.
Juniors Andrea Lopez and Jazmin Lopez are representing Morton East at the Virtual Illinois History Day Contest in April. They will compete for a chance to represent Illinois at the National History Day Contest in June, with their exhibit on the Murder of Emmett Till and the effect it had on the 1950’s Civil Rights Movement.

National History Day just got very competitive. National History Day (NHD) is a very big memorable competition were more than 30 thousands teachers and even more than half a million students. Come together work on their critical thinking, problem solving, and research, reading, self-esteem and confidence skills. In order to become the one to stand out among others in a competition that informs us about important events that had a hard impact in society. On March 16, 2022, Morton East sent 12 of the best history projects to compete in the regional levels at The University of Illinois (UIC). Three of the 12 history projects were qualified to attend and compete in the Illinois State Finals competition. Andrea Lopez and Jasmine Lopez represent Morton East with an outstanding history project on the “Murder of Emmett till and the effect it had on the 1950s Civil Rights Movements.” We also have Andrea Deltoro and Fernanda Barrios representing Morton East with a History project of the American Impressionist painter Mary Cassatt her art contributed to Impressionist Movement of the 1870’s. Cynthia Chavez and Elizabeth Nava are also qualified competitors with their project focus on debates within gun control and school safety. This is what teachers had to say about students using their lessons in a real life competition for 1st place?

“One of the impressive take-away I observed was how the students met real world deadlines. To hold a school exhibit, and how those moving on had to self-register and upload into a complex system in one day to go on to the finals. That same self-management played into a part at the regional competition. Where each student had to check in at a specific time and answer questions as judges evaluated their exhibits.  I can’t wait until next year,” said English teacher Kent Frankfother

Mr. Frankfother feels like a proud parent witnessing Morton students putting their knowledge at work; this is also something else he had to say.

“I was extremely pleased with the breadth of English academic standards and skills that were taught and practiced using History Fair exhibits as a platform.  I really see this type of project-based learning as more real and meaningful than our current junior core curriculum,”  Mr. Kent Frankfother said.

Other teachers love to see the hard work and consistency that comes with the commitment of the project.

“Often students tell me that they are done after finding one entry from databases or the internet and I must be the bearer of shocking news, that this is just the beginning of a six-week journey.  As the weeks progress students learn how to find more in-depth secondary readings using the different databases,” history teacher Ms. Jennie Crownson said.

With the right mindset and people on yours side a competition turns from a frustrating brain fogging event to a memorable life changing experience in NHD.