Career profile: So you want to be a Physical Education Teacher

Leonardo Rodriguez, Reporters

A physical education teacher teaches their students to live a healthy and active lifestyle. They also teach students how to play team and individual sports. They also prepare and deliver lessons on physical fitness and personal health issues. Physical education teachers may also coach sports teams for the school and take them to tournaments and games. They also monitor students for signs of social, behavioral, or other problems. 

Many private and public universities in Illinois offer a four-year bachelor’s degree in Physical Education. The most economical option for students would be at Chicago State University for $20,370 for the year. The fees to Chicago State University would require tuition starting at $7,056 for in-state students, books for $1,800, and other fees for $2,790, and room/board would be $8,724. Although DePaul and North Park University are universities close by, they are schools that you shouldn’t go there if you are not getting scholarships or a full ride. DePaul tuition alone would cost you $37,020 and altogether it will add up to $52,117 and North Park University would cost you $35,320 a year. Make sure you stay away from for-profit schools (proprietary) because you would end up losing a lot more money than they tell you. 

The person that I interviewed for this job was my PE teacher at Morton East, Michael Caruso.

Q 1: Can you tell me about your job. Is it what you do differently in any way from what others in your occupation do?
A 1: I try and participate with my in Physical Education class to stay active and demonstrate different activities.
Q 2: Can you tell me about how you got into this field?
A 2: I always loved physical education class and my teachers, so it was an easy decision for me.
Q 3: What personal characteristics are required for someone to be successful in your job?
A 2: I think you have to be able to listen and understand.
Q 4: How much job security is there for people in your field?
A 4:  If you are able to stay at one school for a long time there usually is job security.
Q 5: What other jobs could you do with the skills you have gained in this field?
A 5: Coach different sports and teach different grade levels.
Q 6: What do you think the future holds for people in your occupation?
A 6:  I think the future is bright for physical education because it is an important part of a school’s curriculum as all other classes are.
Q 7: What are the biggest challenges in your job?
A 7: You are on your feet all day so it does get tiring at times.  However, I love teaching at Morton East so it makes it easier.
Q 8: Are there many opportunities in your field?
A 8: It depends what school district and what state.  District 201 is very supportive of physical education and so is the state of Illinois.
Q 9: What should people do to get started in your field?
Q 9:  If someone decides that they want to be a physical education teacher when starting college they should talk to their adviser to help them choose the proper classes/timeline.