Surprisingly, a minority of Morton East students will experience a traditional Thanksgiving feasts this year!

Culinary+preparing+food+during+their+event.+
Jeanette Villegas
Culinary preparing food during their event.

In a survey of 100 students conducted at Morton East, 55 Morton East students celebrate Thanksgiving differently, while 45 students celebrate with a traditional Thanksgiving feast.

Thanksgiving takes place on the 3rd Thursday of November every year. Thanksgiving is traditionally celebrated with a festive meal featuring a variety of dishes. It is a time for people to come together and express gratitude for the blessings in their lives, and it holds a special place in the hearts of many. A Thanksgiving meal is a central aspect of the holiday. A traditional Thanksgiving feast typically includes a roasted turkey, along with an array of side dishes and desserts that vary depending on family traditions and regional influences. Maybe a turkey leg will be on the menu this year as the price of a turkey declined due to a surplus of turkeys.

In a community where the majority of people are Hispanics, it’s common to see different foods being served and different memories being created.

“When my parents were still here in Chicago, we would have bigger gatherings when I was younger. I moved out somewhere, so we all just decided to go to that house, and everybody that year brought their A-game. It was a big collection of homemade meals. It was really good; there were desserts too. It was a buffet of the best of the best, with appetizers, samples, the main course, and dessert. It was straight out of a movie,” said English Teacher Mr. Ruvalcaba.

Most families either play games, prepare the food, or even party during the holiday.

“We often have after-parties. We eat leftovers from Thanksgiving and be thankful for life,” said senior Angel Sandoval.

Even with a traditional approach to Thanksgiving, the feeling of gratitude is still there.

“A family tradition of mine is that before we eat, we all go around the table and say what we’re thankful for, and after we usually eat mashed potatoes, spaghetti, turkey, ham, and bread,” senior Jimena Betancourt.

No matter how one celebrates the holiday, the joy and laughter are always there.

“We have our family dinner which consists of macaroni, grains, and beans, and then the meat always varies. Everyone is around the table, laughing, and eating, but it gets quiet in the middle of dinner cause we’re all smacking,” said senior Shanael Branch.

Some even start setting up for Christmas that same day. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with that.

“During this day, we take time to put on a celebration that we find more important. We put up our Christmas tree and other things around the house to celebrate the beauty of Christmas. During this time, my mom and I make tamales, and we decorate the house to begin getting the scene of a Mexican Thanksgiving and Christmas,” said senior Yaritza Garcia.

The idea of Thanksgiving still resides in each family. Everyone is together, laughing, chatting, eating, and just being thankful. The joys of Thanksgiving are felt by all, no matter what modifications are made to the tradition because the purpose of Thanksgiving is to appreciate everything, we have around us. Hopefully, this Thanksgiving new traditions or memories are being made.