2023 New Year’s Resolutions

Alexia Blancas, Reporter

Most of people’s New Year’s resolutions is too be healthy or save money.

According to The New York Time’s “A lot of these resolutions fail because they’re not the right resolutions. And a resolution may be wrong for one of three main reasons: It’s a resolution created based on what someone else (or society) is telling you to change, it’s too vague, & you don’t have a realistic plan for achieving your resolution.” It’s known most people deep clean their houses to walk into a New Year fresh. Next important fact, a New Year’s resolution is a tradition, most common in the Western World, in which a person resolves to continue good practices, change an undesired trait or behavior, or accomplish a personal goal. Last important fact, most common New Year’s resolutions people share is to be healthy, be consistent with the gym, or save up money. In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 45 students reported they did have a New Year’s resolution.

“My new year’s resolution is to be the best person I can be not just to others but mainly myself and thrive and dedicate myself to being successful, and achieving everything I know I’m capable of achieving. I haven’t been 100% committed but I’m working towards the motivation to get me to where I want/ need to be. I’m reaching this goal, so yes correct it’s personal.” A senior from Morton East, Keren Llort said.

Another student Cassy Menes from Morton East had a similar New Year’s resolution as Keren.

“My New Year’s resolution was to be more productive & be more financially stable. Everyday I’ve tried to get at least one to two things done that gets me closer to my goals. I gave myself until graduation month to achieve most of my goals. I’m reaching this goal alone & it’s personal.” A senior from Morton East, Cassy Menes said.

On the other hand another student from Morton East had a different idea than Cassy and Keren.

“My New Year’s resolution is to go to the gym. I have been inconsistent with this resolution. I’m planning on keeping this goal throughout the year to remain healthy. Reaching this goal alone.” A senior from Morton East, Rebecca Sosa said.

Another student from Morton East, Brenda Malvaez wanted to work on their mental health.

“My New Year’s resolution is to find a way to cope with things by going to the gym or reading, creating good habits to get my mind off stressful situations. I want to be mentally peaceful and to be happy with my appearance and in general. This is a personal goal and plan to work on this all year long.” A junior from Morton East, Brenda Malvaez said.

While, Jimena Porras wanted to work on being organized.

“My New Year’s resolution this year was to be more organized and on track with my stuff. I’ve managed to keep myself more organized with things around my room. I have also started to use a calendar to be up to date with my tasks & have also set reminders so I won’t be all over the place. I told myself I had to commit to my goal to try to keep myself as organized as I can. I now feel that if I keep things well organized, things will run much smoother which means less stress. I am reaching this goal by myself because I feel that if I did this with someone else I would get frustrated. Eventually working with someone else for a goal would make me stop pursuing it. I have seen I tend to stay highly motivated working by myself because there isn’t anyone telling me if I’m doing things wrong.” A senior from Morton East, Jimena Porras said.