Students Voice Opinions On Being Checked For IDs

Edwin Zarco, Reporter

Recently students have had to face increased scrutiny upon entering the doors as stronger checks for student IDs have been taking place, and students aren’t too happy.

With the safety and security of students always being a priority for parents and staff members alike, it is no surprise that security measures are being taken that are considered controversial. Interestingly, while ID checks have been prevalent before the 2021-2022 school year, the 1st semester of the current school year was slightly relaxed in certain aspects of security as everyone settled into the new school year and while new security staff was being added. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 17.6 percent of high schools required students to wear badges or picture IDs in the 2017–18 school year as a security measure. In Morton District 201 schools, IDs have always been mandatory, with the obvious exception being the year the district did remote learning due to COVID-19. Recently, in a random survey of 102 Morton East students, 60 students reported that they have had to show their ID to security at some point during their time at Morton schools.

“I don’t have any strong opinions, ” senior Rolando Leal said, “but I don’t really care.”

Other students are more vocal on their opinions.

“Waste of time, bruh,” senior Jaime Figueroa said, “Like, sheesh, you can see my ID from there.”

Administration and security explain that checking IDs became a little lax during the pandemic because many students entering the building last year had not picked up their IDs yet.

“IDs have always been protocol,” said Morton East security supervisor Carlos Murillo, “The checks were relaxed at the beginning of the school year due to the pandemic, but aren’t being enforced more than other years.”

Some students are certain on their views.

“It’s a meaningless way to try and assert dominance and authority that doesn’t work and only makes the school look dumber than they already are,” senior Christian Espinoza said.