Support groups available at East

Has life been tough lately? Well, look no further

Rodrigo Reynaga, Reporter

East provides support groups for whatever challenge one is going through; from grief to gangs, there is bound to be a support group to help you cope with your problems.
According to State.nj.us, student supports services are important in schools because they are of crucial importance for the social, emotional, and character development of students and the development of learning climates that are conducive to student achievement in school and in the future. Student support groups are also helpful for people suffering from mental health problems. According to insidehighered.com, mental health problems have been on the rise due to the pandemic going on and now these types of groups are now needed more than ever. In a random survey of nine Morton East students, three reported being part of a support group in the past or currently being part of one.

“(In the) past (I was part of) Snowball. A teen staff member (told me about it). It’s a good and supportive group (with) great food,” senior Alexis Gomez said.

Many students enjoyed finding someone who was willing to listen and help.

“In the past, (I was part of) Youth Crossroads.  A school counselor (told me about it). I would (recommend it because) it was nice to talk to adults who seemed to care and wanted to listen and genuinely help,” senior Angela Pedroza said.

Morton East is full of various support groups that are still active today.

“Throughout the years Morton East has offered various support groups, depending on student needs.  Some of these groups are Social skills group, Grief group, Think First/Mindfulness group, Gang Involvement Intervention group, New Moms group, Dad’s group, Executive Functioning group, to name some.  These groups are run by counselors, social workers, school psychologists, speech therapist, and Youth Crossroads, collaboratively.  Some groups are still being offered this year, but in a virtual setting since last March.  So far, attendance has been significantly lower than when groups met in person.   I think this can be due to scheduling, concerns with confidentiality, some students not inclined to do more things via the computer after being in class all day, as well as all of the changes that COVID has brought on for everyone.  Most students have preferred — and are encouraged — to meet with support staff individually.  This can be done virtually or in person.  It is easy for students to get in touch with ANY one of the support staff they would like to talk to.  Contact info can be found on the Morton web site or, the easiest way is a TEAMS message,” School Counselor Patricia Menges said.