Students stay fit in quarantine

Jean Guerrero, Reporter

Are students staying fit during quarantine? 

According to Help Guide, exercising is a must, especially during quarantine since exercising doesn’t only improve youphysical well-being but mental well-being as well. Exercise reduces depression, stress, and anxiety, things that are present the most during these tough times. In a survey of 16 students, 14 students exercise during quarantine. 

A Morton student maintains muscle during the pandemic.

According to Right as Rain by Rose Hoonan, when exercising the brain releases chemicals that reduce stress, anxiety, and depression. Currently, COVID-19 has a lot of people stress, the best way to release that is by exercising.  

“I believe staying fit is very important. Working out is good overall. Mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually! It’s also great to add to your daily routine. I stay fit; I work out every morning because I have athletic PE and my teacher assigns us workouts. I also like to add extra at-home workouts using YouTube and lifting and running,” Senior Jessica Cruz said. 

There’re many ways to stay healthy during quarantine. According to Help Guide, things such as getting outside, trying things such as boxing, bodyweight training, bike rides, and more. 

“I believe staying fit especially during the pandemic is important because of the mental toll it has taken on the population. People are naturally more depressed due to being locked down and not being able to do the activities that make them happy. Exercising releases chemicals in your body that makes you happy, so it is a good way to fight back depression. Personally, I run 3 miles every morning to start off my day. Then, while I’m at work I work out 2 times a day since I’m lucky enough to always have a gym available to me,” former Morton student, currently US soldier, Alejandro Vargas said.