Cicero residents still buying animals

Jorge Ruiz, Reporter

Cicero residents are still buying their pet from pet shops instead of adopting.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 6.5 million pets end up in an animal shelter every year. Usually, when people think of getting an animal companion they think of buying from a pet shop, but recently people have started to get their pets from the animal shelter and adopting the animals. Also by the ASPC, around 1.5 million shelter animals have to be put down each year. By choosing to adopt an animal you have the chance to save an animal and gain a loving companion. In a poll of 50 cicero residents, 30 people said they would prefer to buy their animal companion.
“Adopting is better because there are already so many abandoned animals that need love,” Cicero resident Rosa Martinez said.
According to the ASPCA, the number of animals being put down has decreased due to people choosing to adopt.
“I feel bad for all those dogs that are left alone. They have no homes,” said Cicero resident Leslie Ruiz.

Buying isn’t always bad; some people are very satisfied and love the pets that they bought.
“I feel pretty good for buying my dog, she is healthy and cute,” said Morton East High School student Syklaly Perez.

With more and more pets being brought home for company during the pandemic, it’s still a better idea to help those that have an uncertain past life and future.

“Every time I see that commercial with the special needs pets — you know, the one with three legged dogs and blind cats — I want to rush out and adopt one.  But, my place isn’t big enough for another dog,” journalism teacher Kent Frankfother said.