Goodbye, Ms. Naik

Isaac Carlos Sarabia, Reporter

This year Nina Naik is retiring from Morton East. Ms. Naik taught at East for 21 years. During that time, she taught physics and chemistry.

Question: Why did you decide to become a teacher? Was teaching your first career choice?
Answer: I was born into a family of teachers. I was taught that service to others is the purpose of human life. There are many ways to achieve this goal. My dad was a primary school teacher. He encouraged me to be a teacher.

Q: What subject did you teach and how long? Did you participate in any extracurricular activities?
A: I have taught various math and science courses at the College of DuPage and Morton East High School. For the last few years, I have taught a special education chemistry course.

Q: What was your favorite part about being a teacher? What is your favorite memory at Morton?
A: Shaping young minds and developing moral-ethical character in students are my favorite things besides teaching subject matter. The best parts of teaching at Morton are the interactions with students and involvement with the community.

Q: What are your plans and how are you going to spend your time?
A: My retirement plan is very simple. I want to live life with the awareness that I am alive and blessed. I want to be useful to family, society, and the environment.

Q: What are your interests or hobbies outside of the classroom?
A: I love to read, cook, dance, and annoy my family.

Q: Do you have anything else you would like to add so we can get to know you better?
A: I have one message for our students. Be a productive member of society. Lead a moral-ethical life. Work hard to achieve your goals, and help other people to make this world a better place.

Congratulations on your retirement. Morton East will miss you!