Thanksgiving’s different during a pandemic

Adamaris Gonzalez, Reporter

Students ponder their Thanksgiving plans as positive COVD-19 cases increase.

According to Chicago.gov, Illinois has initiated strict travel regulations for residents to take into consideration during these upcoming holidays. Across the United States, doctors and physicians have warned the nation of a third wave in the pandemic, causing numerous states to implement new safety precautions. Currently, in the city of Chicago, coronavirus cases are up by 380% since October 1, according to the Chicago Tribune, meaning that these cases are record-breaking levels that were not seen even during the early days of March. Traditionally, when a year is winding down and the merry sentiments of the holiday season begin to emerge, thoughts of seeing loved ones are evident in our minds. However, the year 2020 is like none other, causing vast concern towards the notion of family gatherings during these tremulous times. According to nbcchicago.com, due to the increased rates of positive COVID-19 cases in the Chicago land area, the city has imposed an emergency travel order confirmed on November 10, 2020. Anyone reentering Chicago from any state must quarantine for 14 days or, in some cases, are obligated to obtain a negative COVID test result taken 72-hours before returning. Residents who do travel out of state to accompany their loved ones will have to undergo a few mandatory safeguards. Those found in violation of the state travel orders will be prosecuted for fines from $100 to $7,000. Students at Morton East are now delegating their options with these new regulations. In a random survey of 13 Morton East students, seven students reported that they would be gathering with additional family and friends this Thanksgiving holiday. Yet, in a random survey of 10 Morton East staff members, six faculty reported that they would not be gathering with additional friends and family this upcoming holiday.

“The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic may mean that your typical holiday gathering will look different this year. I would recommend students to spend this Thanksgiving holiday with those in your household. Not following safety measures and expanding your circle of people during the COVID-19 pandemic increases your risk of exposure. I believe avoiding large crowds at this time is important. Student and their families should follow the CDC guidelines focusing on limiting the people before, during, and after the meal, wash and disinfect guest areas before and after gatherings. Also, they need to consider single-use disposable utensils and dishware for serving and eating meals, and not only encourage guests to wear masks, but have an extra supply of masks, disinfectant wipes, hand sanitizers that contain at least 60% alcohol, and tissues,” head nurse Rosalba Hernandez said.

According to Illinois.gov, Governor J.B. Pritzker officially announced that the state of Illinois is entering Tier 3 mitigation, and they will take effect at 12:01 on November 20, 2020. Meaning that Illinois residents are urged to stay home, and new guidelines will be in place for retailers, gyms, hotels, restaurants, bars, and more. These guidelines will affect Cicero residents, as they question whether family members and friends will still gather for Thanksgiving.

“Yes, it’ll be a few. Not too many but I will have visitors this Thanksgiving. As for COVID-19 precautions, we’ll somewhat practice social distancing and we’ll encourage masks but like I said, these are extremely close friends and family members so there is not much concern,” sophomore Cynthia Reyes said.

The definition of a family household varies from person to person, meaning that some might not see family gatherings this Thanksgiving as a dangerous social event. Nevertheless, residents continue to practice COVID-19 precautions and have decided this year it is better safe than sorry.

“No, I won’t be inviting anyone new. My Thanksgiving will be just family that lives in my house right now, we have done friends-giving but even then it’s usually just our cousins. No, we won’t be making Thanksgiving virtual, it’s too much hassle and it wouldn’t feel like the holiday season,” senior Anthony Guerrero said.

Participating in safety precautions for COVID-19 is always encouraged; health professionals even recommend the plan of making this holiday season virtual. However, some residents are comfortable running the risk to revel in the sense of familiarity that we have all missed during this insane year.

“Yes, I’ll be gathering with friends and family this year, and because they are people of all ages and in different forms of family and friends, we will be practicing strict social distancing. We are all going to be wearing masks, but we are not going to force them, they will be highly encouraged, however,” junior Juan Reyes said.

In the end, while this year has hit us with numerous adversaries, people continue to seek the positive aspects by adapting to this pandemic to appreciate the merry feeling the holiday seasons often bring. While this year has challenged our minds, it has also brought out the creativity in all of us.

“This Thanksgiving, yes, I will be gathering with immediate family. I constantly see these relatives so there is not much concern, but even then, some of the members of the Rich family will not be making it. However, we are absolutely making Thanksgiving virtual! We have a whole zoom meeting scheduled! We have a big TV that connects to the phone so we are going to mirror the call on the TV and have FaceTime for the kids individually,” junior Milaena Rich said.