Doomsday Clock is ticking

Students are 50/50 when it comes to understanding what this means for the climate

Javon Parker, Reporter

Many students know the Doomsday Clock is ticking towards a climate change that can’t be rewound — giving us the deadline to stop climate change before it dooms us.

According to the Forbes website, initially, the Metronome digital clock located in New York across a 14th Street building facing Union Square had normally counted time to and from midnight down to the fraction of a second. Currently, this clock has been converted to what is now known as the infamous Doomsday Clock displaying the time remaining to dispel the threat of an irreversible planetary crisis of Climate change. At first, the clock displayed the time ‘’7:103:15:40:07’’ representing the years, days, hours, minutes and seconds until that deadline of irreversible damage. But as time goes on, it becomes shorter with every second counting down until we can curb greenhouse gas emissions enough to give the Earth a 67% chance of keeping the world under 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming. According to a random survey of 50 Morton East students, 33 have heard of the Doomsday Clock.

‘’I’ve heard of the Doomsday Clock and I am all about reducing carbon emissions in the environment for as long as I can remember, and I thought that creating this buzz would raise more awareness on the topic of global warming to hopefully wake up society, but a lot of people have not heard of it yet,’’ senior Max Seay said.

With that being said, other students agree.

‘’The Doomsday Clock should definitely be taken seriously, as it is practically a deadline to when irreversible damage is done to the planet caused by global warming. One of the reasons I am a vegan and also an environmentalist is to reduce my carbon footprint as well,’’ senior Luz Cano said.

Although it seems many students know of the Clock, others do not. A few students who have not heard of The Doomsday Clock also shared their thoughts.

‘’Personally, I have never heard of the Doomsday Clock although it seems like a serious idea that needs to be taken seriously,’’ freshman Ethan Gonzalez said.

Initially, it seemed like more students have heard of The Doomsday Clock until more students began to say they were not certain.

‘’I am not sure if I have heard of it in the news lately although it sounds familiar, it seems really interesting and important and I am going to have to do my own research on it now to see what other people are saying,’’ junior Irene Velasquez said.

On the contrary, instead of a student we also have the perspective of a Morton West teacher!

‘’The Doomsday Clock is something I believe more people should be aware of. It is a physical manifestation of the time the whole world needs to come together and fix the growing issue of global warming before it is too late for all of us,’’ Spanish teacher Ms. Larsen said.

It seems that a good amount of people know about the infamous Doomsday Clock and are aware of what it means. With that being said, hopefully, more people are encouraged to take part in the change we need in order to save the planet and restore our ozone!