East increases AC, more to come

Alexis Arellano, reporter

Last summer Morton East high school initiated its long-awaited renovations to the building after years of anticipation; students are probably most pleased about the increase in the number of air conditioned rooms.   

Back in the day – over one hundred years ago – when Morton was built, no schools had air conditioning.  (AC didn’t really become common in schools until the 90s.)  However, these past couple years – from May to September — students, staff and some parents have complained about “extreme heat temperatures” and the school’s lack of AC.  Morton began receiving some slack from its students for its outdated building features but in particular; its air conditioning. 

“I don’t see why we still don’t have air conditioning yet; I mean they renovated some classrooms and re-painted the hallways and they even got a new security car, but still no air conditioning,” said Anthony Avitia, Junior at Morton East high school.  

Like Anthony, other students were also puzzled by the fact that the school had undergone some renovations during the summer-time, but the air conditioning was still an ongoing issue.  

“It isn’t as simple as it sounds, in order to install a modern air-cooling system, first we have to dismantle the wall and the floors as the building was not designed with an air- cooling system in mind, as it was built way back in the day,” Mr. Gamboa said, Principal of Morton East.  

Evidently, renovations and air conditioning go hand in hand in this situation, and that has propelled Morton to take the liberty and go ahead and make these improvements.  

“Many classrooms received a long overdue upgrade, we improved classrooms by installing new walls, floors, desks, chairs and doors, to name a few things but the air condition is still a work in progress,” said Mr. Gamboa. 

Although air conditioning is still a work in progress it is steadily heading in the right direction.  

“This weekend about 30 rooms will be getting air conditioning and that is because of the big chillers we are installing on the rooftop of the building,” Mr. Gamboa said. 

The future is bright – and presumably, cooler.

15 Responses to “East increases AC, more to come”

1. Erica on January 8th, 2019 10:03 am

Great Article!

2. Carolina Herrera on January 8th, 2019 8:42 pm

I like when Mr.Gamboa said “we improved classrooms by installing new walls, floors, desks, chairs and doors, to name a few things but the air condition is still a work in progress” because they did have change up a lot of the class rooms ,but the A.C still don’t work and i hope it starts working by May . Although they are changing up the school , the auditorium was one of the room that has been re-model before they started with the hall-ways. Morton East has been doing a great job for the kids.

3. adviser on January 9th, 2019 10:34 am

Gravatar?

4. Juan on January 9th, 2019 8:26 am

I like how the article has opinions from not just one side,but from both. Students and adults were asked about what they thought about the issue.I think personally that it would be a good idea because when it gets hot in the spring time it’s annoying to feel hot and trying to pay attention in class. Also the endiong of the article leads me to believe that at least in the near future the possibility of having a cooler building will be posible.

5. Alejandra Prieto on January 9th, 2019 10:34 am

Ac in the school has always been a complaint. There was times where students will faint in gym from the heat , locker rooms and hallways were very unpleasant. AC in the school will make a huge difference and glad that the school has finally found a way to install it and making progress. Students/ teachers will be more focused and comfortable in a air conditioned class room.

6. Lizbeth on January 9th, 2019 10:40 am

really good story. I remember the first year I came to this school it was super hot, which distracted me so much from my school work. I was so not used to that intense heat. These passed two years haven’t been as hot though. Might be because they’re actually working on it or maybe even because I got used to it.

7. Karina V. on January 9th, 2019 8:35 pm

This is a great article. It is a great resource to inform people whats going on with the school. There have been a lot of complains about the school not having AC. When is starts getting warm outside, the building does get hot. It is good to know that the school will soon have AC and also offer a better building.

8. carolina herrera on January 10th, 2019 9:23 am

9. Carolina1 on January 10th, 2019 9:27 am

great story!!!

10. Rosalinda Granados on January 10th, 2019 9:28 am

Im glad that they finally are improving the AC, the past years of my high school, i remember coming back from summer break and the building would be very humid, so humid that students would faint very often. its nice to hear some good news about that.

11. natalia escobedo on January 10th, 2019 9:32 am

This is article is very interesting because a lot of students complain about the AC and the school. its really help for us to get a little update about what has been going on in school and what they are working on.

12. Gislle Uribe on January 10th, 2019 11:30 am

I find this article interesting, many people can’t concentrate when it comes to doing class activities including teachers. Its good that Morton is doing something about it because students should have air conditioner.

13. Natalia Marquez on January 10th, 2019 11:46 am

I knew this school needed AC even before I started coming here. My family and friends that came to this school before me would always tell me that it was always super hot. Now that I have been coming here I know how serious their complaints were. Now after years they are trying to fix this problem, which is good.

14. alexander ornelas on January 10th, 2019 12:06 pm

It sucks that Morton is adding ac when the seniors are already leaving but at least we will have some for 2nd semester and end the year without much heat.

15. Nathan Claro on January 10th, 2019 12:40 pm

This Article is very interesting and informing because like it said many students staff and parents have complained because of the extreme heat problems. Its a big relief to know that they are finally taking action and fixing the ac system since it also makes students frusterated and unfocuesd throughout the hot days in school. Now or recently i have not hear much complaint about the heat and i hope we dont have to go through the long hot days this coming spring during school.

East increases AC, more to come