Junior Amari Davis qualifies for National History Fair Competition

Erik Meraz, Reporter

Junior Amari Davis has qualified to represent Morton East High School and the State of Illinois at National History Day Competition in June at the University of Maryland.  This is the first time a student from Morton East has made it to the National level of competition.

Amari recently received an “Excellent” rating at the state finals in Springfield for her entry in the performance category:  “A Road that Ida Built.”

“I’ve seen the entries; you really have to do a great job of researching and presenting to even qualify at that level,” English teacher Mr. Frankfother said.

Two students, Delilah Ayala and Amari Davis, competed at the state finals in Springfield.  Delilah competed in the exhibit category with her project, “Got Pride?”  and Amari competed in the performance category with her project, “A Road that Ida Built.” Both Delilah and Amari vied for one of the 20 spots to represent Illinois at the National History Day Competition in June at the University of Maryland.  Delilah placed in the excellent category for her individual exhibit and Amari received a superior rating in Individual Performance.  In addition her performance, she also qualified to represent the state at National History Day.

“I would like to take a moment to say thank you to all who took the time to judge and be part of the 2014 Morton East History Fair.  It is because of you that Morton East did such an amazing job in this year’s competition!” history fair Ms. Crownson said.

On Monday, April 28 over 42 suburban and city high schools met at UIC to compete in the Metro Finals of the Chicago History Fair.  All student projects are from primary and secondary research centered on Chicago History and the National History Day theme, Rights and Responsibilities.  Students competed in three categories: exhibits, performances, and documentaries for the right to go on to the state competition.  Morton East was well represented at the Metro Finals with three exhibits and one performance.  Juniors Jocelyn Salto, Stephanie Perez, and Francis Fontanez presented in the exhibit category with their project “Helping the Most Vulnerable.” Junior Anabertha Ibarra also presented with her exhibit, “The Path to the Ballot Box: Women’s Suffrage.”