Students cheating on tests/quizzes is huge problem at East

Miriam Jimenez, Reporter

Most East students have cheated on tests at some point.

As we grow older, our academic expectations grow and our requirements put more responsibility upon us, which may lead to overwhelming stress. The majority of the time, this stress causes students to be scared of losing their good grades or make them feel as if they need to be a top student which inevitable causes cheating. According to edutopia.org, a 2012 Josephson Institute’s Center for Youth Ethics report revealed that more than half of high school students admitted having cheated on a test while 74% admitted to copying a friend’s homework. Over the course of time, cheating on tests has been facilitated with the help of technology. Technology is making cheating easier and more convenient for students. In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 78 students admitted having cheated on tests/quizzes.

“I have never cheated on any of my tests or quizzes, but I remember there was one time that I had trouble memorizing the math equations, so I decided to write them down on my wrist,” sophomore Anthony Vazquez said.

There are times when students are anxious about failing a test, that they are inclined to cheat, others just cheat because they don’t have the motivation to work, but want to pass the class.

“I could study if I wanted to, but I’m just too lazy. I sometimes use my phone when the teacher isn’t looking. I cheat because I want to pass the class; I don’t want to fail,” senior Juliana Rodriguez said.

In the other hand, other students strongly disapprove of cheating.

“I really don’t see the point of cheating. Students should become responsible and make time to study. There wouldn’t be no point of cheating if you studied,” senior Maria Sanchez said.

Other times, many students are tempted to cheat.

“I get disappointed that when I study, the most I get is a ‘C’, but when other people cheat, they get a ‘B’ or higher. Sometimes I’m tempted to cheat but I stop myself from doing so,” senior Miriam Jimenez said.

DISCLAIMER:  This MortONION article is entirely fabricated — false.  Be careful of FAKE NEWS! Don’t spread lies.